How do I integrate About me or Impressum Pages?

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Pete
Regular

How do I integrate About me or Impressum Pages?

Post by Pete »

Hey everybody,

my blog is online now. But I don't know how integrate an "About me" or Impressum page that shall be displayed if a visitor clicks the "About" link in the header's menu. A URL shall be entered. But how do I integrate this? Is a plugin available or does serendipity offers a possibility to write and integrate such a site?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

The first thing you need to do is install the Static Pages plugin. Once this is installed you'll see an extra menu option in the admin screen, and this will allow you to create a page for about, and another page for your impressum.

Then, since you are running v1.1 of Serendipity, simply enter the url of the page you've created into the appropriate input box within the template config screen.

If your blog had been running v1.0 or earlier of Serendipity then you would have needed to edit the index.tpl from the template folder.
Pete
Regular

Plugin already installed

Post by Pete »

I still don't get it. When I enter the text into the body field, defines the headlines with "Impressum" and copy the Permanlink into the URL field of my template, right next to the name "Impressum", the link goes directly to a field that says impressum and than comes nothing. what do I do wrong? *sigh*
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Have you installed the static pages plugin?

If yes, then click the static pages link in the left column in the admin screen. Next, select new page, and click ok. You should now have a page that allows you to enter your content. This is important, you need to give the page a permalink, which is the second input box. The default permalink is /pages/pagetitle.html

Change this to /pages/about.html or /pages/impressum.html

Than, go to the template config screen, and where your about link is, type the full url into the input box. So for example it would be http://yoursite.com/index.php?pages/about.html
Pete
Regular

Post by Pete »

Hi Carl, hi everyone,

thank you very much for the help. Yes, of course, the static pages plugin was already installed. The last thing I'd like to know is, where the hack is the impresssum.html stored? I looked in every folder, but found nothing but the regular index.php. The path says /index.php?/pages/impressum.html. The problem is. Everything works right now. But now, when the static page impressum.html was integrated, the description meta tag of my site disappeared entirely. When I said "View page source", I found the reason. It's no huge problem. But I would like adapt the impressum.html my myself, than I know how to continue. Thanks again.

Pete
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

impressum.html doesn't exist. Its a database entry, just like a blog entry, but Serendipity uses apache error handling to make you think the page actually exists.
Shuttle

Static Pages

Post by Shuttle »

Hello I'm new to Serendipity, I've installed the static page plug in but don't understand how to create a new static page, does the plug in generate the new page or do I have to make my own html page and place it in a new folder. Is there a static page instruction page somewhere I could look at. :oops:
yellowled
Regular

Re: Static Pages

Post by yellowled »

Shuttle wrote:Hello I'm new to Serendipity, I've installed the static page plug in but don't understand how to create a new static page, does the plug in generate the new page or do I have to make my own html page and place it in a new folder. Is there a static page instruction page somewhere I could look at. :oops:
In the admin panel: "Static Pages" -> "New Entry" -> "Go!". Substitute the "pagetitle" in "Permalink" by something unique, possibly a suitable name like impressum for the impressum, aboutme for a personal info page etc. Then edit the new static page like a blog entry. Once you're done, set "Publish-Status" to "Pulished" and hit "Save" at the very bottom.

Sorry to be so concise, I have to get some sleep soon :) Hope this helps.

YL
Izzard
Regular

Tried the above

Post by Izzard »

I have done it excactly the way you wrote, but I can see nothing on my blog.
What have I done wrong?
Izzard
Regular

Post by Izzard »

It took me an hour, but actually everything solved.
mehulved
Regular

Post by mehulved »

Izzard wrote:It took me an hour, but actually everything solved.
How did you solve it? I still don't see anything related to static pages in the admin panel. Though I see the static pages list on my blog's page but nothing to configure it in the admin panel.
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

mehulved, do you have the Static Pages plugin installed? :)
mehulved
Regular

Post by mehulved »

Azel, yeah I installed it, of course.
I even tried it out on my PC to mess around, again the same result. I am unable to find anything related to static pages in admin panel.
I have been searching around google whole day without anything useful.
Is there any official document or such for installing the plugin?
mehulved
Regular

Post by mehulved »

OK. I figured it out now. It's 2 plugins I need to add. One is event plugin and other is sidebar plugin. I was only installing the latter.