Comment notification email question

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Buzz
Regular

Comment notification email question

Post by Buzz »

I have Serendipity set so I receive email notification when comments are left. I do not use moderation but I do have the Captchas enabled.

Here's my problem. Serendipity, as is, does not require an email address be typed into the comments form page in order for a comment to be posted, but, if the commenter does not type in an email address, I do not get a notification of the comment emailed to me. Whereas, if the commenter does include an email address, even bogus, I do get the notification email.

I would like this to be one way or the other. Either I get the notification if the commenter does or does not include his email, or, make it required in order to post a comment that an email address, even bogus is typed in.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

It is possible to require the email field, even if it is bogus.

In your spam protector event plugin, add the email field to the 'Required comment fields' input box toward the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps,
Buzz
Regular

Post by Buzz »

Carl,

Do you mean in the Administration Suite? Under 'Configure Plugins' then 'Event Plugins' comes 'Spam Protector', I see nothing that says anything about 'Required comment fields'.

Am I looking in the wrong place?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Buzz wrote:Am I looking in the wrong place?
No, you're perfectly right. Admin backend -> Plugins -> Event Plugins -> Spam Protector, 'third last' field. Are you possibly using an older version of the spam protector plugin (I'm using 1.53)?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

In s9y 1.0, after you click on Spam Protector, it's the third field from the bottom. Usually it has "name,comment". If you change it to "name,comment,email", all three fields will be required.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Buzz
Regular

Post by Buzz »

Apparently I'm using an older version because what you two are saying should be there is not. Where do I see what version I have? That doesn't seem to be anywhere either.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Should be at the bottom of the admin suite: powered by Serendipity 1.0 and PHP 4.3 or similar.
Judebert
---
Buzz
Regular

Post by Buzz »

Ah, I see I have 1.21

Now, where to get the updated one. I don't see it available in there anywhere.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Buzz, sorry about the confusion. The version number is in the description for the plugin when you look at the main plugin page with descriptions for them all

EDIT: sorry about replying after everyone else, I'm trying to help out here, and also in another forum, and by the time I get back to a conversation...
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

1.21? What is this, Back to the Future? :lol:

Sorry, Buzz. Apparently there is some confusion. I'm using version 1.51 of the Spam Protector plugin: that you can find as Carl said, on the "Configure Plugins" page as part of the description.

The Serendipity and PHP versions should be at the very bottom of each admin page, like a page footer.

Oh, and the newer versions of the plugins are usually available by clicking the "Install New Event Plugin" link if you have SPARTACUS installed and working. Otherwise, you can visit http://spartacus.s9y.org/ to download plugins. All the available versions of Serendipity are on http://s9y.org/ for download.

EDIT: Don't worry, Carl. My response was confusing, anyway. Besides, can there be too much help?
Judebert
---
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:1.21? What is this, Back to the Future? :lol:
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." (M. McFly) ;-)
Buzz
Regular

Post by Buzz »

Holy smokes. I see I'm using Serendipity 0.8.2!

I suppose I should upgrade to 1.0.1

My question in doing this is, how do I assure all of my entries will not be lost?

Sorry I'm such a 'lost in the past' pain in the kiester.

I've also done many alterations to my style.css file for my template. I have that particular file saved on my hard drive now.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

0.82, are you using GoDaddy?

Upgrading isn't normally a problem, but a couple of people here have been concerend about losing data, and if you do a quick search for GoDaddy in these forums you should see some informative responses from Garvin about exactly what needs to be done.
Buzz
Regular

Post by Buzz »

Bingo! Yes, Godaddy.

I will do that search. Thank you so much for all the right directions.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

you're welcome