Editing themes

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
dnlninja
Regular

Editing themes

Post by dnlninja »

I'm not sure if this goes under themes or bugs/help, but hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. Anyways i've been trying to modify several themes the past few weeks with no success.
I go into the templates/theme folder to edit the specific file, and i overwrite it, but the file never changes.
I assumed it was something with permissions or on my servers side, but i have been talking my host directly and he worked on it for about an hour and said the permissions are fine.
I've tried modifing several themes files, either through a ftp program upload/overwriting, or directly modifing/overwritng the files through the sites file manager.
I've had this problem using the alpha .1, and i upgraded to the newest nightly but still have this problem.
any idea would help, thanks :)
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi dnlninja

I think you'll have more success if you download the whole folder of the theme that you want to re-style then alter the files in your downloaded version. Change the info.txt to your own details and rename the folder before uploading it back into the templates directory.

You'll be able to select your theme in the style manager - and if you carry on editing, the files will now overwrite.

Dave Cummins
dnlninja
Regular

Post by dnlninja »

ah, i wasn't aware i could do that. thank you!
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

No problem

I hope you let us all see you're themes when you're happy with them :-)

Dave