Postgresql upgrade not working from 0.6pl3 to current

Having trouble installing serendipity?
daFool
Regular

Postgresql upgrade not working from 0.6pl3 to current

Post by daFool »

Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [9-1] ERROR: column "authorid" does not exist
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [10-1] NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "serendipity_config_pkey" for table "serendipity_config"
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [11-1] ERROR: syntax error at or near "after" at character 85
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [12-1] ERROR: adding columns with defaults is not implemented
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [12-2] HINT: Add the column, then use ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [13-1] ERROR: column "path" does not exist
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [14-1] ERROR: syntax error at or near "(" at character 52
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [15-1] ERROR: adding columns with defaults is not implemented
Sep 5 12:38:24 error postgres[17298]: [15-2] HINT: Add the column, then use ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.
Another thing that does not work is updating .htaccess, upgrader recognizes that it should be updated but does nothing to it.

I can and probably will fix all postgresql errors with a little work but should I do so or wait for official fixes? Shall I post diffs/patches to somewhere if I do?

I don't have energy to find out why .htaccess will not be updated but that I can fix manually by copying changes from scracth installation.

We are also in process of translating Serendipity to Finnish, has someone else done it or in progress doing it?
daFool
Regular

Re: Postgresql upgrade not working from 0.6pl3 to current

Post by daFool »

daFool wrote: I can and probably will fix all postgresql errors with a little work but should I do so or wait for official fixes? Shall I post diffs/patches to somewhere if I do?

I don't have energy to find out why .htaccess will not be updated but that I can fix manually by copying changes from scracth installation.

We are also in process of translating Serendipity to Finnish, has someone else done it or in progress doing it?
I guess no-one had tested those update-scripts before with postgresql? At least 7.4.2 needed a lot of mods to work. If some one is interested for the mods I did, I am happy to provide. Unfortunately they are not compatible with automatic upgrading and they have to be run by hand and either require sed* or editing by hand. There were several mistakes in following form

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE foobar ADD goo int(11) NOT NULL default '1';
Postgresql does not support field widths with integer. Postgresql does not support setting defaults when adding columns to an existing table. And the "not null"-constraint, afaik, should have it's own clause. At least the following syntax is legal:

ALTER TABLE foobar ADD COLUMN goo INT;
ALTER TABLE foobar ALTER COLUMN goo SET default 1;
UPDATE TABLE foobar SET goo=1;
ALTER TABLE foobar ALTER COLUMN goo SET NOT NULL;
*(sed -i /serendipity_/your table-prefix/g up*_postgresql.sql)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your tests and your report. With your help I could correct many of those mistakes. Could you please have a look at those files again and see if they're also correct for you?

Regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
daFool
Regular

Post by daFool »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi!

Thanks a lot for your tests and your report. With your help I could correct many of those mistakes. Could you please have a look at those files again and see if they're also correct for you?

Regards,
Garvin.
Took todays cvs-snapshot. You managed to fix some of them but not all.

Sep  6 18:12:38 fault postgres[5539]: [9-1] ERROR:  column "authorid" does not exist
Sep  6 18:12:38 fault postgres[5539]: [10-1] NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "serendipity_config_pkey" for table "serendipity_config"
Sep  6 18:12:39 fault postgres[5539]: [11-1] ERROR:  syntax error at or near "UPDATE" at character 63
Sep  6 18:12:39 fault postgres[5539]: [12-1] ERROR:  column "oldmime" does not exist
Sep  6 18:12:39 fault postgres[5539]: [13-1] ERROR:  column "oldmime" of relation "serendipity_images" does not exist
Sep  6 18:12:39 fault postgres[5539]: [14-1] ERROR:  column "mime" contains null values
And again the automatic update resulted a .htaccess file that does not work. All "clicks" result 404.

I could go through your changes, fix what is broken and post diff -c's here?

:?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi daFool!

Took todays cvs-snapshot. You managed to fix some of them but not all. 
[code]

Ah, darn. I did some testing and it worked, but maybe I wasn't using 0.6-pl3 but 0.6.2 instead.

Could you maybe look which files from db/* still need tweaking exactly?

About your .htaccess problem - can you post what your file looks like?

Do you have MSN/IRC/ICQ available so that we could work it out together?

[quote]
[/quote]

That would be lovely! :-)

Thanks a lot,
Garvin
daFool
Regular

Post by daFool »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi daFool!

Could you maybe look which files from db/* still need tweaking exactly?

About your .htaccess problem - can you post what your file looks like?

Do you have MSN/IRC/ICQ available so that we could work it out together?
That would be lovely! :-)

Thanks a lot,
Garvin
Actually it would be an overkill to do diff -c. You just missed one missing semicolon in the very first line of db_update_0.6.8_0.6.9_postgres.sql

(I can usually be reached from irc with nick daFool/IRCNet?. Sometimes I do yahoo with mosfi.)

I have not tried if this makes the automatic update to work, as I inserted every file manually after seding them for prefix. I will try it tomorrow, I will post the .htaccess file differences at the same time. :roll:
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi dafool!

Thanks, I merged your patch - I didn't spot that one, must have happend during copy&paste.

Say - how about, if you enjoy Serendipity, to join our Mailinglist and become one of our postgreSQL-support guy? Joseph Tate is the only other one currently looking into it, and he's sometimes out of time to check our upgrade SQL bits+pieces. I would love to be able to use your experience :)

About the .htacces file, I'm waiting for tomorrow when you can post it. Thanks!

Regards,
Garvin
daFool
Regular

Post by daFool »

garvinhicking wrote: Say - how about, if you enjoy Serendipity, to join our Mailinglist and become one of our postgreSQL-support guy? Joseph Tate is the only other one currently looking into it, and he's sometimes out of time to check our upgrade SQL bits+pieces. I would love to be able to use your experience :)

About the .htacces file, I'm waiting for tomorrow when you can post it. Thanks!
I do enjoy serendipity, our community has three installations running. And I have two test installations to play with before upgrading to next release. 8) I joined the list and will contribute if there is anything I can do and have time to do.

The difference between a scratch installation of .htaccess and upgrade installation .htaccess is just two lines. Scratch-installation has

ErrorDocument 404 /~mos/serendipity/index.php
DirectoryIndex /~mos/serendipity/index.php
and upgraded installation has just:

DirectoryIndex index.php