.htaccess Installation Problem

Having trouble installing serendipity?
geraldbaeck

.htaccess Installation Problem

Post by geraldbaeck »

Hi,

I tried to install serendipity for the first time, but finally failed, because the installation could not create the .htaccess file, although I set the permission of the directory to 1777. As a workaround I created the .htaccess file manually with 1666 permission and the installation stated , that everything went right. But if I try to view the Blog now, it redirects me again to the setup page. What can i do?

thx Gerald
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: .htaccess Installation Problem

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

If s9y reports that a file cannot be written, your permission change seems to fail. s9y not only tries to write .htaccess but also serendipity_config_local.inc.php.

However if you create an empty file called like that, s9y will think that it's installed even though it's not. So I'd suggest to check why the permission change of your folder does not take?

The other way is to install s9y into a subdirectory like "blog", where you should be able to assign 1777 privileges; and after installation, move all files from /blog to / again, then you should be able to login and easily change the paths from blog/ to / inside the s9y configuration again.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
hyejohn
Regular

Re: .htaccess Installation Problem

Post by hyejohn »

You might want to check any existing folders on your site for .htaccess files - There may be a rule there stopping you...

(Yes, I've had this happen to me. - disallow rule in a script folder.)
~John
That Photographer guy in Michigan