Installations problems/questions

Having trouble installing serendipity?
nussi
Regular

Installations problems/questions

Post by nussi »

Hi there !
I want to start a blog and decided to go with Serendipity. I don't own my server, so the only way for me to install it, is actually to send the files by FTP on a shared server (www.ovh.org). I don't have remote access, and I don't think I have any way to chmod files ....
So I have a couple of issues. They were already talked about on the forum but I didn't find a real answer ... so here they are again :
  1. How can I set the number of entries shown on the front page ?
  2. There are two lines in the .htaccess files that crash the blog. Thoses lines are :
    • php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
    • php_value register_globals off
    As soon as I remove thoses two lines, everything seems to run fine, but I assume that if thoses two lines were here, they were doing something ... So could you tell me what will eventually go wrong ?
  3. The quicksearch won't work. I'm using a mysql database.
  4. I have also some css issues (posts layout screwed when using images with float styles) on IE (not firefox), but I think I'll figure that out by myself, cause here's not the place for that, is it ?
Thanks for you answers and the great work !
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Installations problems/questions

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

1: Edit templates/default/layout.php, search for printEntries() function call. There's a number like '15' which tells the number of posts.

2: The first tells that no transparrent rewriting of URLs by PHP is done. This appends a 'PHPSESSID' or something similar to all your URLS, which we try to deactivate. The second tells that no GET/POST variables should be imported to the global variable scope. This is for security reasons, and default as from PHP 4.1.0.

3: That's a confirmed issue with certain MySQL versions and couldn't be tracked down or really reproduced. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We're quite helpless on that, a Bug is also filed on this: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=542822

4: Yes, I'm afraid that is because when using a float, you'd need a '<br style="clear: both" />' at the bottom of your post; or ensure that there's more text than your image spans. ;)

Regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
nussi
Regular

Post by nussi »

Thanks for your quick and clear answers Garvin :o

1. It worked just fine thanks :)
2. I have no PHPSESSID added after the URLs and I'm running PHP 4.3.6 so I think everything will be OK
3. If this can be of any help, I'm running MySQL 3.23.58-log and I tried to recreate the fulltext index with the following command :

Code: Select all

CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX entry on sblog_entries
(title,body,extended);
and obtained the following error :

index command denied to user: 'myUserID' for table 'sblog_entries'
I tried to drop the index before, and it didn't exist, so I'm not obtaining the command denied error because the index was already there.
Seeing that it's quite obvious that the search won't work :shock:
What I don't understand is how the script could execute till the end without stopping on the first CREATE FULLTEXT in the middle of the script (All the tables are obviously here). Does the command you're using to execute the script resume on errors ?
I assume that this must be a restriction from my host, but if you have any other idea on what could cause that error, I'm interrested. For the moment I'll just be hiding the quicksearch index, and maybe if I have time someday try to write a small plugin doing a search with LIKE statements :twisted:
4. I'm using clear:both statements, and that's what's breaking the layout with IE (everything fine with Firefox). It looks like that the div containing the entry is touching the left border, when it should have XXX pixels left margin. Anyhow, I won't waste your precious time over this and try to figure that by myself 8)

Thanks a lot, and if you have any question on my setup for the quicksearch issue, don't hesitate and ask questions. I would be glad to help :) (looks like you're the one the bug is assigned to, good luck, seems to be a tricky one)

Nussi
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Nussi!

1. Great! :)

2. Yes, if you don't see it, it is already disabled. :)

3. Okay, as you're talking about 3.23.58 that causes the error: FULLTEXT match searchs are only possible since MySQL 4.0.0...
And yes, our script executes each query on its own, and if there are non-fatal errors, we will just skip that query and execute the others.

4. If you don't happen to solve your issue, just throw a pointer to your blog and I will look into it. Good luck, though. :-)

Have a nice day,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
nussi
Regular

Post by nussi »

Hi again,
I fixed the css issue so I thought I would put the answer here in case anybody else would stumble on it.
Description of the problem (with the serendipity v2 theme) : in your post, on IE, if you use divs with the clear:both style attribute after floated images, the border surrounding the div that contains the entry is discontinued. The corners are OK, but 10 pixels or so below, the border is suddenly 20 pixels too much on the left and on the right
Here is a screenshot of the problem :

Everything looks fine on FireFox

Solution : add a user stylesheet in the administration if you don't have one yet. Edit that stylesheet, and add the following lines :

/* Hides from IE-mac \*/
* html .serendipity_entry {height: 1%;}
* html .serendipity_commentsTitle {width:80%;}
/* End hide from IE-mac */
This code will ONLY be interpreted by IE Win, won't screw the layout in IE, and won't affect other browsers.

Hope this helped :)
Nussi

BTW : credits go to http://www.positioniseverything.net/exp ... loats.html for the answer and the IE hack :D