board.s9y.org: Change titles of threads

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
dhm
Regular

board.s9y.org: Change titles of threads

Post by dhm »

If you search for threads at board.s9y.org via Google & Co.,
you can't read the full thread title sometimes, because every thread starts with "Serendipity [s9y] Forums :: View topic" in title.

So I get for example results like: (this is especially horror, if you search only at board.s9y.org via "site:board.s9y.org")

I propose to change the titles to one of those or something similar:
  • THREADTITLE - board.s9y.org
  • THREADTITLE - Serendipity Forum
  • s9y: THREADTITLE - Serendipity Forum
In any case: the thread title should be at the beginning of the title (as possible).
It helps:
  • Users, which search for threads/content via external search engines (if users see the full title, they can spot that keywords, that they are looking for)
  • Users, which have many tabs with s9y threads open (so they can difference the threads)
  • board.s9y.org, because Google & Co. will rank you higher: you'll have less ballast in title - so the user-generated keywords (aka thread title) will be estimated more important
winkiller
Regular

Post by winkiller »

I'm not exactly sure where the "Serendipity [s9y] Forums" part comes from, but "View topic" is the default title of, well, viewing a topic.

At the top of this page I see "Serendipity Forums" - and on some pages I just saw "board.s9y.org" - but I can't reproduce it atm - I just have to guess that the "official title" of the forums once was "Serendipity [s9y] Forums" and that's where the entries in the Google search results come from.

I don't think there's any reasonable way to fix this for future hits (board.s9y.org is less descriptive, very technical and not so much shorter...), but there's definitely no way to fix this for the descriptions in Google's search index *now*.
dhm
Regular

Post by dhm »

Huh? Didn't realize that the actual titles in the forum are different (or were they changed lately?).

Yes, Google still has the old ones indexed - so it's only a matter of time.
winkiller
Regular

Post by winkiller »

I wouldn't bet a huge sum of money, but I think it's been at least a year.
So not sure if it ever will change...
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Jannis recently changed the titles...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/