A few ideas...

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
m750
Regular

A few ideas...

Post by m750 »

I hope I'm not repeating other requests, or offending anyone with these suggestions, or even worse asking for things that are already in the product, but I think these would be cool improvements for s9y.

1. commenter white list. I have a few regular commenters, that I would like to automatically allow to comment. I don't want them to have to be registered users persay, but allow commenters with specific name / ip combo to post.

2. improved rss feed.
Using a reader like google reader I survive on rss feeds, what I'm seeing more and more is a portion of the footer material included in the rss feed.
like;

Links to comments, # of comments, digg this, etc.
Typical post footer stuff.

Thanks,
Aaron
yellowled
Regular

Re: A few ideas...

Post by yellowled »

m750 wrote:1. commenter white list. I have a few regular commenters, that I would like to automatically allow to comment. I don't want them to have to be registered users persay, but allow commenters with specific name / ip combo to post.
I don't think it's possible based on name/ip, but maybe with cookies or something? That's a feature I'd like to see, too.
m750 wrote:2. improved rss feed.
Using a reader like google reader I survive on rss feeds, what I'm seeing more and more is a portion of the footer material included in the rss feed.
like;

I might be wrong, but I think you can have that already if you use Feedburner.

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: A few ideas...

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
1. commenter white list. I have a few regular commenters, that I would like to automatically allow to comment. I don't want them to have to be registered users persay, but allow commenters with specific name / ip combo to post.
Why not use the login for that? Whitelisting user/IP is IMHO not a good idea, it has too much maintenance. User accounts are the easiest; you can login with a "remember me" cookie and then be done with and never need to login again.
2. improved rss feed.
like;

You can add/change anything you like through custom feed templates with Smarty templates. Also like YL indicated, Feedburner can automatically integrate that easily. s9y embeds those information of link to comments etc. within the RSS feed in the metafields that are meant for it - I much more embrace the concept of RSS clients reading that metafields and not duplicating this functionality in the body of the entry where it IMHO does not belong.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
m750
Regular

Post by m750 »

Why not have registered users?
Because I don't want to force my friends to register on my blog. I'm not sure how wordpress does it, but I know my friends blog works that way.
As long as I use the same name / email combo from my home network, my comments don't need to be moderated.

I guess I'm not savy enought to know how to use smary codes to do what I'd like. Good to know it's capable, but the weak link.
thanks,
Aaron