Spam Protector, Hide E-mail Addresses Not Working

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
psiege
Regular

Spam Protector, Hide E-mail Addresses Not Working

Post by psiege »

I'm using the Spam Protector plugin, and I have enabled this option:

"Hide E-Mail addresses of commenting users
Will show no E-Mail addresses of commenting users"

However, the name of the commentor is hyperlinked with their email address in this format: something[at]something.com.

While that format "may" prevent bots from email harvesting, it's unlikely to prevent a human from figuring out everyone's email addresses. Is this the intended method of "hiding" e-mail addresses or is something broken?

I don't think my users will be happy if the world can so easily find their email address.

Thanks!
psiege
Regular

Post by psiege »

Please disregard! I was logged in as an administrator, therefore all e-mail addresses were being shown. 8)
psiege
Regular

Post by psiege »

Ugh! Even regular users when logged in see all of the e-mail addresses.

Can this be changed to never show the e-mail addresses?

Thanks!
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

In this case I suggest you to edit your "comments.tpl" template file and remove the email there.

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
seegers
Regular

Post by seegers »

Sorry for undigging this thread, but the same issue confused me, too.

I would suggest to change the description in the Spam Protector Plugin. It currently reads: "Hide E-Mail addresses of commenting users. Will show no E-Mail addresses of commenting users".

At the moment the email addresses are masked at most, but not hidden.
(my comments.tpl is already edited).
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Whether, or not, email addresses are shown is a) dependent on the template b) the spam protector plugin setting to hide/show, and c) a visitor's logged in status.

The default comment smarty template shows the email address to everyone if the spam protector does not specifically hide it. If the spam protector is configured to hide email addresses, it is still somewhat obvious to logged in administrators, showing it only to them as something like johndoe[at]somewhere.com.

A template CAN override this ability, but few, if any, have ever bothered. I hate the display of email addresses so much that my latest template project will NEVER show the email addresses of commenting users regardless of the spam protector settings.
=Don=