customizing: embedding outside of the serendipity directory

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
sol
Regular

customizing: embedding outside of the serendipity directory

Post by sol »

After a long search for the "best" blog, my brother and I decided on Serendipity. We've got a test installation that is everything we hoped for....well almost. :?

We want a blog for the site we admin (bswa.org) and think serendipity will be the trick. But we want to do a custom hack and I can't find the documentation of how to do this and messing around with the code on our test installation hasn't revealed the secret yet either.

We've installed s9y in [DOC_ROOT]/news/. All is well.

But I'd really like to have a news feed to our home page at [DOC_ROOT]/index.html (which is actually a PHP page). Basically I want to have s9y running the news section, but also embed just the default news view into an index page that has customized blocks on the left and right. But I can't seem to get anything to work outside of the s9y directory.

I've copied scripts from the [DOC_ROOT]/news/ directory and tried hacking them to make something work but all that comes back is a message telling me I need to install.

What I (think I) need to know is, if I'm writing a PHP script called [DOC_ROOT]/index.html and want to call the default news blocks from the s9y db, which includes do I need and what functions/methods do I need to execute to make this happen?

Any tips appreciated. :)

/sol

PS: s9y is cool. Can't wait to test the next devel version.
PPS: but why "s9y" = "serendipity"?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: customizing: embedding outside of the serendipity direct

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Sol!

What you seem to need is what's described as 'embedded blog' in our Wiki-Documentation on www.s9y.org.

The basic idea is described there, so you can create a php script DOC_ROOT/index.html which calls and gathers the content from DOC_ROOT/news/index.php and displays the content.

The links themselves may then point to the /news/ subdirectory, if you want to also have them in the main directory you have to stick to mod_rewrite or other redirection methods.
PS: s9y is cool. Can't wait to test the next devel version.
So which version are you running then? Try our latest CVS snapshots, they're updated every day.
PPS: but why "s9y" = "serendipity"?
Because "erendipit" are nine (9) characters in between :-)
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
sol
Regular

Thanks Garv!

Post by sol »

Thanks for your assistance Garv. :)

I've been messing around and found that that s9y is even more powerful than I thought. I'm hoping to have this running on our website by sometime in June.

BTW, I really liked the design of your site. It would have to be one of the best s9y sites I've seen. Pity (for me) that it's in German (which I don't understand). But that leads me on to say that I'm really impressed when non-English speaking OSS hackers develop software with good English documentation AND help out via email or BB's. Most native English speakers don't even make the effort to learn a second language let alone make a voluntary contribution to that languages' speakers.

Anyways, I'm liking s9y more the more I learn about it. I hope some day I can give something back to this project.

kind regards; sol
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Thanks Garv!

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Sol!

Thanks so much for your kind words, I really appreciate this!

Sad to hear that you like my blog but can't access it; I would've done it in english, but I felt more "honest" my keeping it in my mother tongue; however I have a google-translation link at the bottom of my page, if you want to have a good laugh. ;)

Anyways, I hope you continue liking s9y and be able to achieve what you wanted to do with it. Post a URL here or on the wiki if you're through :-)

Best regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
sol
Regular

Re: Thanks Garv!

Post by sol »

garvinhicking wrote: Sad to hear that you like my blog but can't access it; I would've done it in english, but I felt more "honest" my keeping it in my mother tongue; however I have a google-translation link at the bottom of my page, if you want to have a good laugh. ;)
And laugh I did. :P

"There one can select the Spammern between internal s9y bypass and the Google bypass and thus from the bitebite bites take away. I see beginning on my Blog in addition no reason it, but rather to this step would guess as if someone the Blogkommentare close completely."

Automated translation services have quite a way to go yet. :D
garvinhicking wrote: Anyways, I hope you continue liking s9y and be able to achieve what you wanted to do with it. Post a URL here or on the wiki if you're through :-)
:D :D :D

I'll post an URL as soon as it's up. If I can figure out how to write my own plugin I'll let you know, though I don't think it will be of use to anyone because it's querying a custom db which houses and mp3 archive. But who knows?

thanks again; sol