Spam: Has anyone used Bad Behavior with s9y?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
yellowled
Regular

Spam: Has anyone used Bad Behavior with s9y?

Post by yellowled »

Hi guys,

someone just pointed me to http://www.homelandstupidity.us/software/bad-behavior/, which sounds interesting enough to give it a try. Has anyone already integrated this into a s9y blog? What do the coders think of this (my PHP is very poor), is this thing useful at all? Potential risks etc.?

YL
Zirbelholz
Regular

Re: Spam: Has anyone used Bad Behavior with s9y?

Post by Zirbelholz »

This query is 5 years old now. I have just been recommended Bad Behavior for my blog transblawg.eu. Is there any reason to think it would be more effective than the other plugins for S9y? I have got Spam Protector, Spam Protector (SURBL) and Spamblock (Bayes). I am assuming that I can't escape gettig some spam comments which I removed from my spam filter, at present about 10 a day. I can't believe Bad Behavior would do better.

TIA

Margaret
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Zirbelholz wrote:Is there any reason to think it would be more effective than the other plugins for S9y?
I don't think so.
Zirbelholz wrote:I have got Spam Protector, Spam Protector (SURBL) and Spamblock (Bayes). I am assuming that I can't escape gettig some spam comments which I removed from my spam filter, at present about 10 a day.
Personally, I have always found that the combination of Spamblock and Spamblock Bayes works very well. Spamblock SURBL tends to produce weird side effects for users on dial-up connections, which have increased due to the increased use of mobile web connections. Of course, Bayes needs some initial training and continued maintenance (i.e. cleaning out its trash folder looking for false positives).

I don't think there's anything better out there.

YL
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Thanks very much. That saves me some time. I will have a closer look at the Bayes plugin and see if I am doing everything I can with it.