new user and installation login problem

Having trouble installing serendipity?
tliitts
Regular

new user and installation login problem

Post by tliitts »

I just intalled Serendipity, and it comes up fine when I click on my website link.

However, when I click the open login screen and attempt to login, I get the "You appear to have entered an invalid username or password"

I was very careful during installation to write down the username and password, and I've been very careful entering them, trying several times.

Going through the forum messages, I've seen a reference to fixlogin.php. However, that file appears not to exist on my installation.

Any ideas as to where I should start. Maybe remove/reinstall?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Terry Liittschwager
terryliittschwager.com
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: new user and installation login problem

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Fixlogin is only meant for installations that were upgraded or when someone forgot their password. On a fresh installation this should not be necessary.

Did you maybe try to install s9y multiple times? When you install it once, it always keeps the serendipity_authors database table intact, not overwriting any data on re-installation. So if you did your first install with a "bad" password, then re-installed s9y again (due to whatever reason) and this time with a proper password, s9y will always require you to enter the password properly.

In your case if you do not have any data already I suggest you to:

1. delete serendipity_config_local.inc.php
2. Use phpMyAdmin or a similar tool to drop your serendipity_* Database tables
3. Reinstall s9y, and this time since no previous data exists, it should properly store and read your password.

You might want to pay attention that loginnames with umlauts or Non-ASCII characters might make trouble for you; so when first installing, try to better not use usernames and passwords with anything other than ASCII (a-z, 0-9, punctuation characters)

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
tliitts
Regular

Re: new user and installation login problem

Post by tliitts »

Hi, Garvin,

Many thanks! That solved my problem.

I had had a little trouble on the original installation, some confusion on my part on integrating Serendipity into my website.

Anyway, redoing things as per your directions reset the username/password and all is now well!

Terry