Brainstorming: What do we "need" template-wise?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I'm not so sure I agree with you on the button.... I kinda like it. Not sure what Dave might NOT like about it, although, I remember him saying he was open to alternative ideas.

This colorset stuff stinks! The default stylesheet is not all that streamlined. Lots of instances of styles overwriting styles and overall a real mess. Also lots of inline styles as I am finding out too. I'll keep screwing around with it. If I produce something useful, we can use it. If not, it will be a good learning experience.

I guess the point is - given a choice, would it be better to be NOTHING like any of the colorsets, or as close to, say purple, as I can get it?
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:I'm not so sure I agree with you on the button.... I kinda like it. Not sure what Dave might NOT like about it, although, I remember him saying he was open to alternative ideas.
Hrm, here's another issue: The only button I have is the one Dave was using for the s9y-bp colorset. It's basically a small version of the header image, and I don't think it indicates the information it's supposed to ("Based on the bulletproof s9y template."). Plus, a text link blends in nicer with the powered by/template by line ...
Don Chambers wrote:This colorset stuff stinks! The default stylesheet is not all that streamlined. Lots of instances of styles overwriting styles and overall a real mess. Also lots of inline styles as I am finding out too. I'll keep screwing around with it. If I produce something useful, we can use it. If not, it will be a good learning experience.
You're talking about the admin stylesheet, right? Inline styles is really bad, because that probably means you (or someone else styling an admin backend) will have to clean out the .tpl files off those ...
Don Chambers wrote:I guess the point is - given a choice, would it be better to be NOTHING like any of the colorsets, or as close to, say purple, as I can get it?
I think I'd prefer if it did look nothing like any of the colorsets. But that's personal taste, of course.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

By default, the admin interface is a table - no tpl has existed prior to the soon-to-be-released 1.2. Nothing I can do about those inline styles, except override them with !important.

In terms of what to make it look like, I'm personally torn. On one hand, we are using the purple colorset as the primary identification, so that makes most sense. It also makes sense from a demonstration perspective...... someone can design a new template, then use the example admin style to associate their stylesheet id's and classes with the admin stylesheet.

On the other hand, I can see it being completely color-neutral, or at least, use colors other than the existing colorsets. Problem there is that it just makes it that much harder to associate a UI stylesheet with the admin stylesheet.

For my little on-going experiement, which still has a LONG way until it would ever be complete (assuming I do not abandon it altogether), you can take a look here: http://chicagoloopcruise.com/library/s9y-bp-admin1.jpg

Anyway, this is my own self-appointed hell, so I will keep churning away at it, and either turn it into something useable, or throw it all out.

BTW - on the to-do list, we still need somewhere to keep items listed until released. Where do you want to do that? I get these thoughts from time to time, and feel I am just losing them when I post here.
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Guys

Love the admin styling Don - don't know where you find the time:-)

FWIW I prefer the button rather than a text link - I only asked for alternatives as I didn't want anybody to be excluded from the design process. I'm happy with the button as is, if you are.

cheers

Dave
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

Don Chambers wrote:you can take a look here: http://chicagoloopcruise.com/library/s9y-bp-admin1.jpg
I do not know exactly what you guys are doing here in this thread (but it sounds interessting), but this backend is GREAT, AMAZING, MARVELOUSLY! :D :D :D
Ciao, Stephan
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
GREAT, AMAZING, MARVELOUSLY! :D :D :D
I don't like bright purple...... ;-)
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:FWIW I prefer the button rather than a text link - I only asked for alternatives as I didn't want anybody to be excluded from the design process. I'm happy with the button as is, if you are.
Dave, which one? The one from the s9y-bp.com colorset? Or that one you had earlier? I don't have a backup of the latter, so if you still have it, please email it to me :)

I'll put that button link in if you guys prefer it. However, the next snapshot will have to wait until tomorrow, I'm not at home 'til then :)

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:
I'm with you on that, at least for the admin backend. I'd like to see something tasteful, decent, slightly technical ... in other words: grey :lol:

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote:
garvinhicking wrote:
I'm with you on that, at least for the admin backend. I'd like to see something tasteful, decent, slightly technical ... in other words: grey :lol:

YL
Well, we know I have grey down to a science!!! LOL!!! OK, I realize you probably don't mean dark, like the grey colorset you guys REJECTED from bp..... :lol:

Perhaps I will complete my exercise in futility using purple, then save that in the admin folder as style_admin_purple.css, then change everything to more of a neutral colorset for a comparison. Right now, I am trying to hunt down a bunch of defined classes & IDs that do not seem to exist, even though they are defined in the default admin stylesheet.

@YL - I believe the button you are looking for is in BP's img folder..... or was there a different one?
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Well, we know I have grey down to a science!!! LOL!!! OK, I realize you probably don't mean dark, like the grey colorset you guys REJECTED from bp..... :lol:
For Pete's sake, Don: We LOVE that colorset. We WORSHIP it, want to MARRY it, build an altar and PRAY to it ... but we'd like to see it as a seperate, bp-based template, yes. :wink:
Don Chambers wrote:@YL - I believe the button you are looking for is in BP's img folder..... or was there a different one?
Nope, that's the one which is used on s9y-bp right now. There was a different one, in some sort of green with more text on it ...

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Hmmm... do not think I ever saw that one, unless you are referring to a very early concept Dave had for the s9y plug image that included "bulletproof" to the right.

And... I really think you should see a therapist regarding your infatuation with a stylesheet!!! :lol: :lol: I have to agree though - better off as one of the intended derivatives of BP.

OK - so back to business. Just noticed something else. Looks like we lost our equal height sidebar columns. Put that on the to-do list.
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi guys

why don't you use the colours from the bp website to style the admin backend? - just s thougt as there are 2 greys.
[quote "YL"] For Pete's sake, Don: We LOVE that colorset. We WORSHIP it, want to MARRY it, build an altar and PRAY to it ... but we'd like to see it as a seperate, bp-based template[/quote] I agree wholeheartedly (well apart from the MARRY bit as that's off my agenda at the moment :-) )

The only buttons I've done (I think) are

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote: The only buttons I've done (I think) are

Hm. I meant the last one, but seing them next to each other I think the middle one is a) the best graphically and b) probably fits best with any colorset. So we'll use that one. Thanks for posting them again :)

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Dave - can you work "s9y template framework" below "bulletproof", just as you have it in the large banner image, or would that be too small to read?
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Don

do you mean like this?

cheers

Dave