Spam Protector Plugin Captcha Preview

Creating and modifying plugins.
williamts99
Regular

Spam Protector Plugin Captcha Preview

Post by williamts99 »

Would it be difficult to add in a captcha preview(maybe even with a preview button) to the Spamblock plugin? While editing the colors etc it would be nice if we can preview what the captcha would look like without having to save/logout/add comment.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Spam Protector Plugin Captcha Preview

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Adding a captcha at that place would mean some programming work. It can be done, but it's not a 5-minute job.

BTW, if you just remove the "admin" usergroup from the list of users that can bypass anti-spam measurements, you can simply save the config and go to the login form while still being logged on to the admin (in a seperate browser window) to easier see the changes?

But it'S a good suggestion, though!

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
williamts99
Regular

Post by williamts99 »

I figured it would just be copying the 'generate random captcha code'TM to the page. But maybe for the next version or something it can be added. Also is there an easy way to add or change the types of captchas used by the plugin?

I was looking at some other captchas that might be a little more effective but might not be as easy to add in.

I was looking at Hot Captcha which uses the hot or not api and the user has to select the three 'hot' women or men out of 9 different pictures. How would I go about integrating this into s9y?

By the way, thanks for the great work and community service that you have done by creating and maintaining this awesome piece of software(and everyone else that has helped too).
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
williamts99 wrote:I figured it would just be copying the 'generate random captcha code'TM to the page. But maybe for the next version or something it can be added.
I just found an easier way to recreate a captcha in the config plugin menu, and just committed it to the nightly repository.

Also is there an easy way to add or change the types of captchas used by the plugin?
As easy as adding PHP code into the plugin that offers a different type ;)
I was looking at Hot Captcha which uses the hot or not api and the user has to select the three 'hot' women or men out of 9 different pictures. How would I go about integrating this into s9y?
You would need to patch up the plugin for that and see how to integrate the API within it. Since I don't know their API, that can be either hard or trivial. Have a look at serendipity_event_spamblock.php, I put the function show_captcha() in there with my recent commit, and the actual creation happens at the 'external_plugin' event.
By the way, thanks for the great work and community service that you have done by creating and maintaining this awesome piece of software(and everyone else that has helped too).
Thanks a lot for those nice words :)

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
williamts99
Regular

Post by williamts99 »

Nice, I like having the preview of the Captcha right on the page, thank you. Though I don't know if it would be better to have it directly below the Captcha options, even though you would have to scroll down to save before you would see the changes anyway. Who knows :-)

And looking at the HotCaptcha code, it would have the effect of requiring javascript, which I wouldn't want to have people be required to use either way.

Best Regards,
Williamts99