is this a bug, contact form replaces preview mode

Found a bug? Tell us!!
carl_galloway
Regular

is this a bug, contact form replaces preview mode

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi all, on my test server (running s9y v1.1 beta6, xampp apache 2 and php 5.05) I'm getting a strange error when I preview any entry regardless of which template is being selected including the original default template by Tom. The contact form appears instead of the entry I want to preview. Not sure if its an error in the contact form, or an error in s9y, but I can tell you I haven't edited any of the core/plugin files. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Carl
Col. Kurtz
Regular

Post by Col. Kurtz »

I have this problem too on one of my installations.
Marc
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

This sounds like a plugin problem. Could you try to remove contact form and other plugins to see which one is the culprit?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

ok, I did what you suggested, and the problem only occurs when the contact form plugin is installed. I'm using the current spartacus version which Matt recently updated.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I can't actually recreate this bug on my server...

Garvin, what is likely to be the cause? I'm not sure how the preview system works, but I don't recall a check in any of the event plugins to avoid previews. What am I likely to have messed up?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Matt!

Hm, in carls case it seems that somehow the contact-form plugin seems to take on page control and returns 'true' in the $this->selected() method call. Maybe it's got something to do with the permalink detection?!

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Interestingly, my changes to the contact form did not touch the selected() method (or the genpage hook), so I'm not sure what would be causing it...

Carl or Col. Kurtz, can you post a complete list of event plugins you are using (preferrably in the order they are installed). I will see if I can re-create the problem on my server using the same plugin/order.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Event Plugins

Markup: Serendipity
Extended properties for entries
Markup: Emoticate
Markup: NL2BR
Browser Compatibility
Spam Protector
Usergallery
Static Pages
Tagging of entries
Livesearch
Photoblog Entries
Extended options for media manager

And of course the contact form. I actrually deleted the contact form so that I could fix an error with previewing a new template ;) and now that I've reinstalled the contact form I can't reproduce the error. I hate troubleshooting... I guess if Col Kurtz and myself are the only people who have this issue then maybe it isn't as much in need of fixing as I thought.
Scrapinette
Regular

Post by Scrapinette »

Hi !

I have the same problem. If I remove the contact form plugin, the problem disappears. If I re-install the plugin, the problem comes back !

Having a contact form is pretty cool but seeing it instead of the post preview is really annoying... Help !! Thanks !
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

excellent, another user with the same problem, at least it can be identified as a bug. Hey Matt, just a thought could it have anything to do with php4 vs php5?
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Scrapinette, I'll try to get this fixed when I get a chance... Unfortunately, I'm not going to be near a machine I can use for a little while. In the meantime could you post which template you are uing?

Carl, can you still recreate this porblem on your server?

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with php 4 vs php 5, but it is possible (at this point, anything is possible).

I really need to be able to recreate this on my test install to have much hope of fixing it. It just isn't an obvious error and I don't have much hope of tracing it short of playing around with the plugin while it is mis-behaving.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I haven't been able to replicate this fault since I first posted the bug. Simply removing the plugin and reinstalling it worked for me and since then no problems, even when I move it around within the event list. Sorry Matt.
Neut
Regular

Post by Neut »

Same issue here, but with the Static Pages plugin instead (Contact Form plugin OK).
Removal and reinstall does not help.
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Neut, what template are you using? Are you using the template switcher? Does the problem persist if you change templates?

I really think this is either a problem with a template that doesn't use preview correctly, or a problem pretty deep in s9y.

If we can get a feel for what environments people are seeing this behavior in we have a better chance of troubleshooting it.
Neut
Regular

Post by Neut »

mgroeninger wrote:Neut, what template are you using? Are you using the template switcher? Does the problem persist if you change templates?
Hi,
I'm using a modified version of Carl Galloway's Andreas08. Changing back to the default S9Y-template does not solve it.
I'm not using the template switcher plugin.
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?