New template: Grunge

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
yellowled
Regular

New template: Grunge

Post by yellowled »

Hi everyone,

I got a little bit bored with my old theme and didn't want to use something I already have in my drawer for 1.1, so I created a "transition" template from a color scheme I found at http://beta.dailycolorscheme.com/ (Great site BTW for all template designers who need inspiration in terms of colors): Grunge.

It's colors only (meaning it doesn't have many graphics, I'm too lame with Gimp), mostly tableless, 2-columns (both sidebars put into one) with a fixed sidebar and a fluid content using a negative margins technique from A List Apart.

You can see it in action in my weblog at the moment or get it from my template site. It's nothing fancy (like most of my templates), but I'm pretty proud of it anyway since it's the first template I did without annoying the hell out of Carl with stupid questions :wink:

So now please lend me your eyes and your browsers - I know how this looks in Firefox 1.5.0.6 and Opera 9 on my Linux machine, but I have no idea if it works in IE or Safari on Windows or Mac. Of course, any other comment on this is welcome, too :)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

When did that one appear, that is so different from the one you emailed me, you holdin' out on me boy!

Good work actually, great to see you going for a text only design, I think we need a few more of these for Serendipity and the way you've picked those colors I think the military types will like it. Also the grunge look is a good look, I'm personally getting a bit tired of all those web 2.0 type templates that everyone seems to produce.

If you do want to add some graphics, I'd say make up a header image that has some white noise in it, maybe the whole George Orwell 1984 big brother kind of feel. And also, I really think you should keep developing this template, it has something special about it that I think could make it a popular selection.
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Yellowled

looks good to me - in Safari 2, FF 1.5, IE 5.2 all mac.

nice job

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:When did that one appear, that is so different from the one you emailed me, you holdin' out on me boy!
Actually, I sat down with a cup of coffee and *poof*, there it was :)
carl_galloway wrote:If you do want to add some graphics, I'd say make up a header image that has some white noise in it, maybe the whole George Orwell 1984 big brother kind of feel.
Read the book, seen the movie, don't know what you mean anyhow :lol:

Maybe I should just make a seamless flannel shirt wallpaper :wink:
carl_galloway wrote:And also, I really think you should keep developing this template, it has something special about it that I think could make it a popular selection.
We'll see. I'll first do some quick fixes like the very small textarea text. Then maybe, just maybe ... thanks anyway :)

I actually have a template question on this one: You'll notice that the navbar links actually do not need to be configured, they (well, should) work perfectly with any installation - despite the email link. Any idea how to figure out if the user actually has a contact form and if there is a contact form find out it's URL from a .tpl file?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:looks good to me - in Safari 2, FF 1.5, IE 5.2 all mac.

nice job
Thanks for testing it, Dave :)
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

In IE6.0/Win, the sidebar starts below the bottom of the entries.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:In IE6.0/Win, the sidebar starts below the bottom of the entries.
Thanks, Jude, and once again: Gah. Hmhmhmhm. I have a suspicion, will probably take some time to figure it out and upload a (possibly) fixed style.css.

In the meantime: Can anyone confirm this or is this another case where it looks fine in one IE6/Win and bad in another one?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

YellowLed wrote:I have a suspicion, will probably take some time to figure it out and upload a (possibly) fixed style.css.
Stumbled across something (double-floated margin bug), updated the stylesheet - does it accidentially do the trick?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Aaaannd... nope.

The place where the sidebar is supposed to be is the same medium-tan as the entry footers, all the way down to the the "Seite 1 von 48" line. It's just all the text has been moved down into the dark-brown area. Then the page footer is printed.

I'd get a screen shot, but I'm not sure I can do it from work. If you're desperate, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Judebert
---
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:Aaaannd... nope.
*sigh* I should probably get myself a possibility to test stuff like this, it's getting embarrassing always having to ask you guys to check stuff like this ...
judebert wrote:The place where the sidebar is supposed to be is the same medium-tan as the entry footers, all the way down to the the "Seite 1 von 48" line. It's just all the text has been moved down into the dark-brown area. Then the page footer is printed.

I'd get a screen shot, but I'm not sure I can do it from work. If you're desperate, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
I'm good. The 'medium-tan' for the sidebar is done by a background-image which is applied to the wrapper div, that's why it doesn't 'stick to' the sidebar content which is moved below. I think I have a pretty good image how this looks in IE, but I don't have the slightest idea what to do about it :roll:
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Sorry about that. I should change my board name to "Bringer of Bad News". :twisted:
Judebert
---
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Someone was telling me that the version of wine that ships with suse 10.1 is supposed to work with IE6. I haven't tested it myself, but if it does that might partially solve your problem.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:Someone was telling me that the version of wine that ships with suse 10.1 is supposed to work with IE6. I haven't tested it myself, but if it does that might partially solve your problem.
Well, this is a Debian machine and it will remain one :) I'll probably just dig up that Windows CD, re-install it and get xampp up and running ... hope you guys will send me a nice fruitbasket to the mental home :wink:
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Re-install windows ? I hope you're not going to ruin your debian. Try installing QEMU. Last time I used it it ran windows 98, me and xp quite happily although slowly.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:Re-install windows ? I hope you're not going to ruin your debian. Try installing QEMU. Last time I used it it ran windows 98, me and xp quite happily although slowly.
Nah, this is Debian stable. It's almost unbreakable :) But I'll keep QEMU in mind in case anything else fails, thanks.