Problem with Bar Sinister THEME and ToDo/Project-List

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
chrisT33
Regular

Problem with Bar Sinister THEME and ToDo/Project-List

Post by chrisT33 »

i use Bar Sinister theme and everything is perfect until i select for the ToDo/Project-List sorting Categorically

if I let the sort Alphabetically or anything else [except Categorically and Categorically with JS] everything is perfect. if I put Categorically or Categorically with JS the template is damaged [the left panel]...

i put a picture to see exactly what i mean:

:arrow: sort Alphabetically

:arrow: sort Categorically with JS

any ideeas ? :roll:
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

It looks like different CSS classes are applied to the category and alphabetical views. I can't tell for sure, though.

If you use SlayerOffice's MODI browser scriptlet, you can see what classes are assigned to an object just by hovering over it. Then you can compare the two to see what's different.

If you give us a link to the site, I'll go look at it, too.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
chrisT33
Regular

Post by chrisT33 »

http://cristi.discuta-liber.com/blog/ is my BLOG

for now i'm just testing to make it look & act good :P

now the ToDo/Project is sort Alphabetically... [to look good]
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Ok, I've got an idea that I'm just going to throw out there...
Can you test what it does on other themes? (Even the default theme would work)

Because the todo list is based on an early version of linklist, and it may just not output the correct number of div tags when using the JS category output. (JS category uses a separate function to format the output, which might be why the Alphabetical version works fine...)
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Ok, so I went a head and tested it with my theme and it is working fine, so I would doubt it is a problem with the div tags... But let us know if you get any strange results with another theme.

Otherwise, I think Judebert is headed in the right direction, and I can't help in that department... :D
chrisT33
Regular

Post by chrisT33 »

with other themes is ok... that's why i said that the problem appears with the Bar Sinister theme... thanks anyway mgroeninger :)
chrisT33
Regular

Post by chrisT33 »

oh God

now i have another problem :(

what should i edit so the menu have the same template? [i mean where is the HTML code generated?]

i saw something on serendipity_plugin_category_dhtml_menu.php, but i only can see there one <span> tag...

i tried inserting some <br />, but nothing... i also searched on index.tpl from template... :(

----------- LATER EDIT -----------

what I posted above was from another topic :( sorry

at ToDo/Projects - the problem is the same...
Last edited by chrisT33 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Okay, the CSS looks good to me. I ran your page through the W3C HTML validator, and it warns me that the "bigholder" div is unclosed.

I recommend switching to the other sorting method and running it through the validator again, seeing if you get something different. I'll bet a div is double-closed.

If it does turn out to be an unmatched div, open the index.tpl and examine it to find the culprit.
Judebert
---
chrisT33
Regular

Post by chrisT33 »

judebert wrote:I recommend switching to the other sorting method and running it through the validator again, seeing if you get something different. I'll bet a div is double-closed.
here is the report:

where can i find the css used by this plugin? or... where can i edit those error to fix them? :-?

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://cristi.discuta-liber.com/blog/serendipity.css" />
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Ah. The invalid ID problem comes from the names of the tasks you provided. That's a job for the plugin to fix: it should substitute underscores for the spaces. I'll try to take care of that.

Same for errors 5,6, and 9: the plugin forgot to add quotes.

Error 17 shows that it's closing a DIV that was never started. That probably explains why it messes up your page: it closes the sidebar before it's ready. Looking at the plugin source, that can happen if you use the JS style. Until I can update the plugin, try using the non-JS version.
Judebert
---
chrisT33
Regular

Post by chrisT33 »

judebert wrote:Until I can update the plugin, try using the non-JS version.
with or without JS when i select to sort Categorically it mess up the theme :|

if you can solve this it will be great :)
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Well, here's my first shot. I updated the new todolist plugin in CVS. It's now version 1.22. I gave all the img tags alt attributes, I moved the ending div where it belongs, and I changed the IDs so your tasks can have spaces (which will be converted to underscores).

Check the validator again after you update, and let me know how it goes.
Judebert
---
chrisT33
Regular

Post by chrisT33 »

it's strange... w3c only gives 5 errors, and those errors are from a video from youtube :|

but the template still looks bad :|

i don't get it :cry:
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Try shift and f5 to clear your browser cache then see if Jude's changes have made any difference.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

It's printing an extra </div>! I wonder why the validator isn't catching it?

I'll check this again when I get home. You're my project for the night.
Judebert
---