Video upload/post plugin, possibly with s9y?

Creating and modifying plugins.
daff

Video upload/post plugin, possibly with s9y?

Post by daff »

Hello everybody,

this is a general question about a plugin I have to write. I need to know if what I have to do is at all possible with s9y before I waste my time only to realize in the end that it isn't :)

It's mainly about video blogging and video uploading. I'll use the media library to upload and manage videos which should be no problem. However, I have to modify the entry form (add a widget "Insert Video") to allow me to select a video from the media library and specify the location of a preview image taken from the video. The resulting HTML code should provide that when clicking on the preview image in the blog entry the video would start in the location of the preview image, i.e. not in a popup or a new page.

That's the most basic requirement. Other things would have to be implemented as well (providing links to the same video in other formats for download) but those should be trivial once the described features are implemented.

Is such functionality (easily) possible with s9y? Where would I have to start hacking, after reading the technical docs on the plugin API, of course? Would there be anything critical I'd have to look out for? Or, even better, are there any existing plugins which I could extend to provide the features I need?

Any input and recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

I can very easy post YouTube, GoogleVideo and other Videofiles on my blog, because i have defined those files somewhere in a plugin called "extended entries?".

I'm not sure, if this is the correct name for the plugni but it is possible. I found it, after searching for "Youtube" here. Maybe you will find it too.

Regards, Harald
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Harald'S got you close on track, so just some further clarifications:

The plugin he's referring to is the "Extended Properties of Entries" plugin, bundled with Serendipity as a default plugin. This allows you to configure so called "Custom Fields". You can create one with "videoURL" for example. When you then create an entry, you can fill in the fields for "videoURL", and this variable will be available to your entries.tpl template file later as "{$entry.properties.ep_videoURL}". You can put your HTML snippet then around that place.

Recent versions of the entryproperties plugin show an "Insert Media" link right next to each customfield value, so that you can easily pull the URL from the mediadatabase and don'T need to manually do that.

Harald was referring to this thread: http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... ht=youtube

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/