Link plugin causing slow site?

Creating and modifying plugins.
Don Chambers
Regular

Link plugin causing slow site?

Post by Don Chambers »

While checking out some of the other plugins, the "links" plugin looked like something I could use. I selected install, and it seemed to take forever, but eventually returned me to the admin screen.

I then returned to weblog to see the results. Again, an eternity to get there. I went back and forth between weblog, admin, and "configure plugins" a few times, and each time it was horribly slow.

I decided to remove the plugin as I don't need it enough to tolerate the horibly slow speed. It is removed, the the slowness remains.

What do I need to do to get my performance back? The speed issue is only on my s9y page, no other part of my website is suffering.

http://www.chicagoloopcruise.com/serendipity/
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Link plugin causing slow site?

Post by garvinhicking »

What other plugins did you install/are you using?

The RemoteRSS feed can cause such slow performance when the remote feed is not available.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Garvin - I am not using the remote RSS feed plugin. I installed the link plugin, and it screwed everything up. My provider, godaddy.com, was able to do something to get me back in business, but had a recommendation.... based on other comments you have seen me post recently, tell me what you think:

When a godaddy.com customer installs s9y via their one-click option, they get an older version of s9y, and a database that is not very accessible.

However, I can create my own MySql database, and just install s9y directly, and have far greater database access. As an example, they said I could not currrently dump my database contents to my local computer, and there is really no way to back it up either.

So, I think I will make some serious notes of the things I have changed, set up a database, and install s9y in my root directory. Any reason I could not do all of that first before completely blowing away my .com/serendipity/ install?
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Actually, I see no reason why the link plugin should affect things. The plugin doesn't contain any real slowdown code, so I figure it must be something else that is causing trouble.

Maybe your FP extensions again? :)

But I think installing it on your own MySQL account does make much sense in terms of future possibilites...

regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

That was something of their point - with it installed as it currently is, the database is inaccessible to me, something that just does not seem to be a good idea.

I'm not sure what they did, but they did get things operational for me. It is possible the plugin was not totally at fault, but the act of trying to enable it corrupted something.

Getting it installed directly, instead of through godaddy's account panel, solves a lot of potential problems down the road. It will probably create a few headaches in the short term, but hopefully those will be minimal.
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

You should have no troubles creating your new database and install before undoing your previous version. Different Serendipity versions can even coexist in the same database; I'm running three versions right now, each with a different prefix (to prevent them from messing each other up).

Obviously, you'll want completely different databases. As long as the code is also in separate directories, you'll have no trouble running two versions side-by-side. Then you can update everything when you're ready.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Melanieofsydney
Regular

Post by Melanieofsydney »

The godaddy auto install thing from their new software installer seems to work better than the old one and actually sets up an accessible MySQL database in the hosting manager. I installed using this for my current s9y and it works great and I hav added tables for my own use into it as well.