Cant install Category p0lugin

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Havouza15
Regular

Cant install Category p0lugin

Post by Havouza15 »

I try to install ther Category plugin that use HTML_TreeMenu
Its installed on my vps with ubuntu 2+.04 and php7.4
When I install it the right column turn empty and I cant reach the admin page anymore. To be able to do that I have to take away the plugin from the plugin folder and take away the plugin from the plugin table in the db.
I can see that there is no HTML_TreeMenu in the php 7.4 options but it is in php 8.1, but that does not work with 2.3.5 vewrsion
Any solution for this out there.
onli
Regular

Re: Cant install Category p0lugin

Post by onli »

Which plugin exactly do you try to install? serendipity_plugin_category_dhtml_menu, the sidebar plugin?
Havouza15
Regular

Post by Havouza15 »

Yes that is the one
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

I'm not sure what the plugin does, but dhtml dates it as very old. The regular category plugin does have the option to show categories as parent and subcategories, maybe try that first?

Otherwise this would be about finding what exactly is the error message, fixing the bug and then getting the plugin to run again. That error message would already be in your error log.
Havouza15 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:09 pm I can see that there is no HTML_TreeMenu in the php 7.4 options but it is in php 8.1, but that does not work with 2.3.5 vewrsion
I'm not quite sure what you mean with that, could you explain? Which php 7.4 options?
Havouza15
Regular

Post by Havouza15 »

This is the php options for the domain

I have linked the screenshot

https://havouza.com/index.php/s/TXPFxkzfNZKGXLm
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Ah! I'm not aware that the plugin needs a specific php extension, but might be mistaken there.
Havouza15
Regular

Post by Havouza15 »

serendipity_plugin_category_dhtml_menu
version 1.12.1 (GPL, Last Updated 2021-07-13)
Jackson Miller, Sebastian Bauer
Serendipity >= 0.7
DHTML category menu. Requires PEAR::HTML_TreeMenu.
Havouza15
Regular

Post by Havouza15 »

It seems that no one uses this plugin anymore, which is a pity because the tree menu make much more sense when you have subcategories. But just nothing to do. I tried to install it on the 2.4 beta but the result is the same
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

I think it got just succeeded by the smarty-templating of the regular category plugin.

The dhtml-tree-menu plugin can probably be resurrected, it just needs a maintainer that gives it some attention (realistically that would be better than me just giving it a look now).
Havouza15
Regular

Post by Havouza15 »

I am after the tree menu look with a category tree for each category. That is not possible with the normal category plugin as I see it
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Hm, I think it is possible, it's just not straightforward.

The category plugin has at the bottom of its configuration an option for smarty templating. If you activate it, the output of the plugin can be controlled with a smarty template file - by adding a plugin_categories.tpl to your theme. The data available there include an array of all $categories. And if I look at serendipity_fetchCategories, the function used to fill that array, the data should be rather complete. That way basically every possible UI can be created.

But the regular plugin has without all that already an option to select multiple categories via checkboxes + subCategories are indented, isn't that already quite tree-like?
Havouza15
Regular

Post by Havouza15 »

Have a look at mine. Hardly a tree. Swedish but menu is the same. For the top 3 the first is the main and 2 and 3 is sub categories