categories and users conflict

Found a bug? Tell us!!
sol
Regular

categories and users conflict

Post by sol »

From a programming POV this may not be a bug, but from a users POV, it is because it is working completely contrary to my expectations and how I want it to work.

This may take a bit to explain...

My brother (username=Clive) installed s9y on the site we maintain 5 days ago - www.bswa.org. He created 4 categories ('Bodhinyana', 'BSWA Website', 'Dhammaloka', 'Dhammasara'). He posted news and all was fine.

I created my username=sol and then I went to create new categories. At the bottom of the 'Manage Categories' interface it says "Click on a Category to edit it". But there was nothing there.

I went ahead and created 3 new categories ('Around WA', 'Around Australia' & 'Around the World'). These categories I could edit, apparently because my user had created them. But the categories that I had not created, I could not use.

But that's not all. I went to add a 'New Entry', but the only categories that I could choose to add the entry to were the categories that my user created. (I haven't asked my brother to check this out yet, but assume that the same applies to his user.)

The strangeness did not stop there. I had the page opened in Mozilla whilst I was editing in Konqueror. I refreshed Mozilla and it displayed only the four categories that Clive had created (he is the 'admin'). I opened a new tab in Konqueror and only the three categories that I had created were displayed in the side tab. However, at the bottom of each article it was posted in the correct category.

I expected that all users were equal in s9y (that's how it seemed from the documentation) so I expected that all categories could be created, edited and added to by any user. Can this be fixed?
sol
Regular

Post by sol »

I just looked at the s9y db and noticed that the 'category' table has a field 'authorid'. I tried to update this like so:

update category set authorid = '1,2' where categoryid = 7;

This changed the authorid from 2 to 1.

If s9y is on the way from being a single-user weblog to a multiuser log, can we please allow more than one authorid to add/edit a category and to allow the admin to be able to set permissions as to who can edit what?

Thankyou; sol :)
sol
Regular

my bad!

Post by sol »

Forgot to mention which version I'm using:
Serendipity v0.6-pl1

I'd like to become a s9y tester. Is there any formal way that I can do this? I'm not sure I have the time to check out every CVS snapshot, but I'd like to test release candidates.

/sol
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: my bad!

Post by garvinhicking »

sol wrote:Forgot to mention which version I'm using:
Serendipity v0.6-pl1
And that was your mistake :) Multi-user functionality the way you want it to be is in our CVS snapshot only (version 0.6.1 and later, which will in the end become the next 0.7 release)
I'd like to become a s9y tester. Is there any formal way that I can do this? I'm not sure I have the time to check out every CVS snapshot, but I'd like to test release candidates.
/sol
That would be so much appreciated! We have no formal way, but we would ask you to report bugs on our SF.net bugtacker (linked from our www.s9y.org wiki) and you can report interface/design issues to our php-blogs-devs mailinglist. This way you will be getting most attention.

Thanks for your offer, we would gladly like to take it! :-)

Regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/