Adding Different Users

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
ian

Adding Different Users

Post by ian »

OK, this is kind of a weird question/request, but hopefully it'll make sense.

A few months ago I got bored and started playing with PHP, and with the help of a friend made a pretty cool directory browsing script for use on my webserver. I haven't played with it in a while due to school, but that's all but over now, so I'm actually going to finish work on that.

One feature of my script is that it allows for users to log in and (eventually) create password protected directories. To do this, of course I need a user database in MySQL, which I've already done. To fully integrate everything together though, I would like to use on database for serendipity as well as my own script. To do this though, I'm not sure how feasible this is with the newer CVS version of Serendipity with multiple blog support.

One interesting feature for all Serendipity users would be the creation of "Friends Only" entries/blogs, as you could then create users with permissions to just read blogs, instead of also being able to write in them.

So yeah, this is kind of strange, and depending on the current direction of Serendipity, possibly way too hard to implement. I still really like Serendipity though, so regardless of if I can get this to work or not I'll hack together my own solution to the problem, it just won't be quite as pretty.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Adding Different Users

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Ian!

Thanks for offering your script - however there is a high danger of suppliyng such a script for servers because it could be misused to create security holes on a server.

We could however link this script in our Wiki as an external add-on so that users who want to create a hosted service can use that script.
One interesting feature for all Serendipity users would be the creation of "Friends Only" entries/blogs, as you could then create users with permissions to just read blogs, instead of also being able to write in them.
The basic idea of Blogs, IMHO, is to "spread the word" and not to enforce restrictive usage out-of-the-box. I think this is more the area for Wikis and CMSs which better create shared content...

Thanks,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
ian

Post by ian »

Yeah, I understand the security concerns and such, and the fact that I'm probably better off using a CMS of some sorts, but most of the CMS's that I found were needlessly complicated for what I wanted.

I'll see what I can do on my own, if I come up with anything interesting or useful, I'll definitely mention it, but as I'm not exactly a talented PHP/HTML developer, I doubt I'll create something useful for use with Serendipity.