editing templates

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Bruce
Regular

editing templates

Post by Bruce »

I am sure there is more info someplace here on editing templates. I am new, so it seems very difficult to make changes as there seems to be several different tempates for main page. Just adding visitor tracking took some searching...

maybe a dumb question, but are there any plans to be able to edit templates within admin? As it is now it's editor and ftp again to make changes...and a lot of bloggers are used to editing them in admin.

Expect a new influx of users, Movable Type just released MT3 with draconian licensing requirements, and the talk everywhere is what to switch to... I'm recomending Serendipity over Wordpress.
I didn't do it
sol
Regular

Post by sol »

Hi Bruce,

I'm new to s9y too, but maybe can answer your question. When I first looked at s9y I too wanted to know how to edit the templates. Later on I discovered that most of the things I wanted to do can be done with the already existing plugins. Have you had a good look through the "Configure Plugins" section of the admin interface?

However I still wanted to include headers and footers to make that consistent with the rest of my site so I edited the templates I had chosen to use. In your s9y directory you should have a dir called 'templates'. This is where those tricky developers put the templates.;)

I was using the default (with a custom style sheet) so I edited templates/default/layout.php. It seems that you can't change everything here, but you can change quite a bit. Check it out.

This did the trick for me anyway. :)
Bruce
Regular

Post by Bruce »

Actually, just got home and was lookin over what I have done so far, especially to the menu...hmmm, if I can do that much in a day, in a few months it will be makin my coffee in the morning ;-)

I don't mind ftp and a learning curve when I am patient, which is...ummmm seldom? lol
Going back to editing templates and style sheets in my text editor on my desktop, and ftp to site is something I am used to from the past, but kinda got spoiled as most blogs have edit capabilities in this area. Maybe not a big deal...

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I have noticed answers here are quick and friendly. That is awesome, creates loyal supporters and is just plain great.
I didn't do it
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Bruce!
Bruce wrote:I don't mind ftp and a learning curve when I am patient, which is...ummmm seldom? lol
Going back to editing templates and style sheets in my text editor on my desktop, and ftp to site is something I am used to from the past, but kinda got spoiled as most blogs have edit capabilities in this area. Maybe not a big deal...
The thing is that most of our developers find the browser's textarea quite hard to edit with. I for one really dislike editing code inside a tiny-weenie editing area instead of using my favourite Text editor with syntax highlighting capabilities.

That is why s9y uses plain files to store the layout/CSS with, because at least all of our dev's really didn't use the formerly built-in CSS editor (there was one in old version :-)

Regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/