Globally disable comments

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
arfa

Globally disable comments

Post by arfa »

I see in 'Personal Settings' - Allow comments to this entry y/n
This works for posts after setting 'N' but still displays the comment div with all the content - except the form.

The FAQ suggests editing the templates/{THEME}/entries.tpl and it was not so difficult to find <div class="serendipity_comments" and set style="display:none";
Even so, for a package as well featured as s9y, this seems a bit primitive.

I did read several suggestions about blog ethos and the essence of user feedback but, for my current scenario, I prefer read-only - and I do like s9y. So, with a bit of code hacking, I have what I want but still wonder if there is - or could be in the future - a setting to emulate the display:none?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Globally disable comments

Post by yellowled »

arfa wrote:So, with a bit of code hacking, I have what I want but still wonder if there is - or could be in the future - a setting to emulate the display:none?
If so, we would probably want to have the HTML for the comments and comment form not emitted at all instead of just hiding it in CSS. For that to be implemented, it would need to be added to and tested in all existing s9y themes.

Frankly, even if we had the manpower to do that in the dev team (which we don't), we probably would not consider this to be important enough because it still is a rarely requested feature. Most people want comments or are fine with the comment section still being displayed although comments are closed.

YL
arfa

Post by arfa »

Thanks for your considered reply.
I take your point with the many themes.

I am a happy camper :)
great work - thx
zarzanola
Regular

Post by zarzanola »

Agreed, I don't think this is important enough to dedicate resources to it
Noelb
Regular

Post by Noelb »

3 years late to this party, but I think there should be an emergency disable all comments setting, for blogs under heavy spam attack
erAck
Regular

Post by erAck »

There is, in plugin Spam Protector (serendipity_event_spamblock), Emergency comment shutdown.
Noelb
Regular

Post by Noelb »

erAck wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:57 pm There is, in plugin Spam Protector (serendipity_event_spamblock), Emergency comment shutdown.
Along with the rbl version, I'm not so sure that plugin works either, I have foo;\.ru;more_foo in url and comments section and they still get through, just like the rbl plugin doesnt check rbl's.

... OK thanks, I've enabled that setting and it at least works until I get something else sorted.
erAck
Regular

Post by erAck »

I never paid attention to the wordfilters because trying to keep up with spam that way is futile anyway. But the trackback IP validation and captcha work (though captcha isn't quite effective). Most spam is caught by BEE Honeypot, then some by Protector and the rest by Bayes (catching also all set to moderated by the other plugins). It might be nobody can comment anymore with Bayes trained for years, but I don't get spam comments added.
Noelb
Regular

Post by Noelb »

erAck wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:46 am I never paid attention to the wordfilters because trying to keep up with spam that way is futile anyway. But the trackback IP validation and captcha work (though captcha isn't quite effective). Most spam is caught by BEE Honeypot, then some by Protector and the rest by Bayes (catching also all set to moderated by the other plugins). It might be nobody can comment anymore with Bayes trained for years, but I don't get spam comments added.
Yeah captcha stops bots but not human vermin :)
dnkham12

Post by dnkham12 »

nice