mod_rewrite

Having trouble installing serendipity?
JMF
Regular

mod_rewrite

Post by JMF »

With release 0.6rc1 I can not get the mod_rewrite mode working for URL rewriting.

This Apache module is installed and working on my box since I use it in my current site but when I activate it in Serendipity, most of the links are broken.
The server does not find existing files.
When I use the Apache ErrorHandling mode, then it works.

Am I the only one with this problem ? :)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: mod_rewrite

Post by garvinhicking »

JMF wrote:With release 0.6rc1 I can not get the mod_rewrite mode working for URL rewriting.

This Apache module is installed and working on my box since I use it in my current site but when I activate it in Serendipity, most of the links are broken.
The server does not find existing files.
When I use the Apache ErrorHandling mode, then it works.

Am I the only one with this problem ? :)
Well, this basically should work. Please past your .htaccess file, maybe some of the rewrite rules are wrong or not with the right paths set up. Is your website up so that I can look at it?

Regards,
Garvin.
JMF
Regular

Post by JMF »

Hi Garvin,

here you can find my test installation.

I only choose "Use Apache mod_rewrite" option in the URL rewriting combobox. Am I supposed to do more ? I have found no documentation regarding this.
JMF
Regular

Post by JMF »

I have another question regarding mod_rewrite: is there a way to change the URL layout ?

I currently have a blog with friendly URL. One if the reasons that made me choose this kind of URL is that they do not change even if the application logic change. That's why I want to keep my URL layout. :)

I can rewrite the requested URLs by editing the htaccess.rewrite.tpl file but I must also modify the URLs that will be displayed by Serendipity.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Well, it seems as if the .htaccess file is correctly evaluated but can't find the ErrorDocument file. It says it's missing the file "/home/dyingcul/www/outils/serendipity/index.php" - is this really existing?

Maybe you could post your .htaccess file and tell me about your path structure on your webserver.

You can change the way of URL rewriting by tweaking the serendipity_config.inc.php files - there are a couple of constants which define the behaviour. And you can try to use RewriteRules to get it into the new format.

However there are no sophisticated methods of changing the rewrite rules, it's pretty much "dirt work".

Regards,
Garvin.