Moving to GitHub.com: Call for developers - CVS/SVN affected

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Moving to GitHub.com: Call for developers - CVS/SVN affected

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

This is just a reference posting to indicate something important going on. Please read here on the process of the Serendipity source code repository being about to move to GitHub:

http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18163&start=0

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Re: Moving to GitHub.com: Call for developers - CVS/SVN affe

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:Please read here on the process of the Serendipity source code repository being about to move to GitHub
Since we're now officially on GitHub (Yay!), and just to be 100% clear on this:

* As of now, the svn repo on berlios is abandoned, i.e. no longer actively maintained.
* Everything related to the core is supposed to be committed to the GitHub repo only.
* Commits are supposed to go into master. If you feel comfortable using git branches, please consider backporting your work to the appropriate development branches as well. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, we (i.e. Garvin) will make sure everything gets backported properly, so please try to get comfortable with branches. :)
* Themes and external plugins stay on Sourceforge's cvs for the time being, but we're looking into moving those to GitHub as well.
* Contributing developers have been or will be granted organization membership on GitHub (meaning pull/push permission). If you're a developer with no access yet, just drop Garvin or me a line.
* Everybody else is welcome to fork and send pull requests. We'll be happy to make you a team member later on. :)

Did I miss something or get something wrong?

Also (thanks to Lux for pointing me to it), if you need to catch up on your git reading, ProGit is a free ebook on git (hosted on GitHub). Translations to languages other than English are a work in progress, though.

YL
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

yellowled wrote:* Commits are supposed to go into master. If you feel comfortable using git branches, please consider backporting your work to the appropriate development branches as well. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, we (i.e. Garvin) will make sure everything gets backported properly, so please try to get comfortable with branches.
I still need to learn how to use git in general, but I have one question first:

Is the master branch the only one or will we have development branches for 1.7, 2.0 etc, which can be used to clone and merge?
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Timbalu wrote:Is the master branch the only one or will we have development branches for 1.7, 2.0 etc, which can be used to clone and merge?
Oh, exactly the part which I'm a bit fuzzy about myself.

master is the bleeding edge, i.e. the latest stage of developement. We will have branches, more specifically remote branches for major releases. The current branch is 1.6, since we just released that. For minor releases, we'll use tags, as there is a 1.6 tag now. Also, GitHub builds downloads from tags, which is kind of convenient. Logically, we'll just use the 1.6 branch until the release of 1.7, which will introduce a new 1.7 branch, which will have the 1.7, 1.7.1, 1.7.2 etc. tags.

So this means one would have to check changes into a) master and b) the current development branch [optionally, if you're not comfortable with using branches yet]. You can, however, have local branches in your local repository to test stuff and play with it. I think you can "simulate" remote branches there as well using tracking branches, but that seems kind of complicated to me. It also seems to require some manual work.

Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong. We're all more or less just learning this as we go, including Garvin an me. :)

YL
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

yellowled wrote:Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong. We're all more or less just learning this as we go, including Garvin an me. :)
All depends on the rules you make.

If I understand it correctly, the Git way is to fork the project. Work on the fork and once you are ready you send a pull request to the owner (maintainer) of the master branch.

But there is no need to do it the same way.

Cheers

Dirk
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

yellowled wrote:Also (thanks to Lux for pointing me to it), if you need to catch up on your git reading, ProGit is a free ebook on git (hosted on GitHub). Translations to languages other than English are a work in progress, though.
The O'Reilly Book is readable online as well. All you need is a gratis PaperC-Account: I am currently migrating my self-hosted SVN (DAV_SVN) to self-hosted Git (with Gitosis), this German language presentation is helpful: Git vs SVN - Eine vergleichende Einfuehrung.

Cheers

Dirk
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

Lux wrote:All depends on the rules you make.
Sorry for spamming: http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/Workflows shows workflows with Bazaar, which can be applied to Git or Mercurial as well.

Dirk