Removing date above entries

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
kingofsicily
Regular

Removing date above entries

Post by kingofsicily »

Hi there!

I am looking for a way to remove the date above the entries in the Bulletproof template. I'm using the site rather as a normal website instead of a blog, so I don't need the date. Under Manage Styles I can change the dateformat, but there is no option of keeping it out of the entry altogether (or at least not that I know of at the moment).

Is there a way?

Many thanks in advance!

This is the site I'm working on: www.praktijkmarea.nl
onli
Regular

Re: Removing date above entries

Post by onli »

Hi
You can remove the date by editing the entries.tpl in your template's directory. There should exist something like:

Code: Select all

{if $dategroup.is_sticky}
        {if $template_option.show_sticky_entry_heading == 'true'}
            <h3 class="serendipity_date">{$CONST.STICKY_POSTINGS}</h3>
        {/if}
    {else}
        <h3 class="serendipity_date"><abbr class="published" title="{$dategroup.date|@formatTime:'%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%Z'}">{$dategroup.date|@formatTime:$template_option.date_format}</abbr></h3>
    {/if}
Simply remove those lines.

If you want, you could use the template-editor (serendipity_event_template_editor) for this job.
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

Hello,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. But I must say there's something else odd too.

On my website I changed the banner, simply by changing the picture filename in the purple_style.css file into the filename which contains my own banner (and putting my own bannerfile into the img folder). I figured I could do the same with the background. I made my own backgroundfile. In purple Bulletproof the backgroundfile is purple_body.jpg. In the purple_style.css I changed the name into my own file (dgreen_body.jpg). But this time nothing happens. Nothing even changes when I delete purple_body.jpg from the img folder!

Do you know why those adjustments don't work? And why the changing of the banner did?
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Hi
Did you notice that the template-editor forked the template you used and activated that fork? You probably changed the style.css afterwards in the normal bulletproof-folder insteaf of bulletproof-fork. Am I right?
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

Thanks again ;)

Indeed I hadn't noticed the fork. But what do I have to do now? Change the relevant files and folders in the fork as well?

By the way, I tried the template editor plugin, but it didn't work. As soon as I stated it I could see the html-code in a flash, but then the screen turned white. At this point I'm using FTP and adapting the files either in wordpad or in Microsoft Frontpage.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Change the relevant files and folders in the fork as well?
Yes, or reselect the bulletproof template as your template.

The screen turned white? At which point exactly? After clicking "Edit Templatefiles"?
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

The screen turned white? At which point exactly? After clicking "Edit Templatefiles"?
Yep. Not the entire screen to be precise. Only the part where (I presume) the html code should appear.

I'm going to try reselecting the bulletproof template. I'll get back on that.
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

OK, I guess I messed up. I copied the entire bulletproof folder into the bulletproof_fork folder and now there is fatal error. :?

Doesn't matter. That's how we all must learn (and I'm completely green in sitebuilding and html) :wink: . I'm going to start from scratch. I'm going to remove everything and reinstall Serendipity. This time I'm going to keep track of what I'm doing...

Could you still explain how I can reselect the bulletproof template as my template? Can I do that somewhere in the administration suite?

I'll get back later after my new attempt. Thanks for helping me out.

Cheers.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

kingofsicily wrote:Could you still explain how I can reselect the bulletproof template as my template? Can I do that somewhere in the administration suite?
Yes. Look for the menu item "Manage styles".

YL
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

Perhaps now is the time to panic :? . This is what happened:

I removed serendipity from the server. I noticed a few folders remained, but since they were empty I figured it would be harmless. Then I downloaded Serendipity from s9y to my pc. With Filezilla I uploaded it again to my server where I had created a new database and user. I installed Serendipity. After the installation I expected to see a new and unedited bulletproof template. But all the entries which I had written for the previous site (and which I presumed I had deleted with all the rest) were there again! All the categories in the navbar as well! To make matters worse font and lettersize of the navbar and the footer has changed. What did I do? What went wrong? Why can't I start from the beginning again if I download Serendipity from s9y? Why are my old entries still there? How can I undo all the changes I've made?

uhm...help?
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Don't Panic! :)

Your entries are stored in the database. Maybe have a look with phpmyadmin - you most definitely didn't delete the database, that's why everything is still there. And the footer probably changed because the template-file was really deleted.
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

If you are a non-native English speaker, have you ever tried translating proverbs into English literally? You get odd and funny results. In my situation the appriopriate Dutch proverb literally translated would be: Now my wooden shoe breaks. :| I don't know the English equivalent, but a baffled 'What the hell?!' is close enough, I guess.

Everything has changed back to normal and I have managed to make the changes I wanted to make. Meaning (among more), following Onli's advice, I removed the specific html lines from entries.tpl and there you go: the date has been removed.

The odd thing is that I didn't do anything. Somehow overnight the changes in the navbar and the footer have been restored. Does that have to do with the server? The entire bulletproof_fork folder is gone. I presume that is because I uploaded Serendipity again. But now I wonder why did the fork folder appear the first time?

Furthermore, I'm too inexperienced with Serendipity that I don't understand all you replied: How can I look with phpmyadmin? Is it in a folder on my server? Or can I use it with Configuration in Administration Suite? And if so, where? Or something else entirely?

Questions, questions.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Cynthia, this sound like Winnie the Pooh: :wink:

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie.
A fly can´t bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fish can´t whistle and neither can I.

Why does a chicken, I don´t know why.

..... back to your questions ...

Know, its Serendipity, thats why!

you web was cached, it isn't shy.

phpMyAdmin, it is a database guy!

search for the grail and I find a lie.

you break your shoes and I say Goodbye!

and so on :lol:

Regards,
Ian
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Hi
Always happy when something got fixed, don't matter how ;)
How can I look with phpmyadmin? Is it in a folder on my server? Or can I use it with Configuration in Administration Suite? And if so, where? Or something else entirely?
Phpmyadmin is not related to serendipity. It's a program to manage the database - if you are not familiar with something like that, it's probably not that important (anymore).

I think you meant it differently, but the bulletproof-fork folder appeared in the very first place because it got automatically created by the template-editor. It's a mechanism to prevent your changes from getting overwritten when a template gets an update.
kingofsicily
Regular

Post by kingofsicily »

Thanks a lot everyone! Things are a lot clearer. I hope to see you next time when there's something I don't understand about Serendipity (which could be soon enough... :wink: ).

By the way, I'm Rogier. I made the website for Cynthia.

Oh, and Ian, that was a great reply :lol: ! Now I have this vision of Winnie the Pooh running into Alice in Wonderland on their way to Minas Tirith to meet the Serendipity ghosts of the past, present and future :lol: .

Good luck!