Drop down menu list

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Sparked
Regular

Drop down menu list

Post by Sparked »

Hi there, i have created a fair few neaw pages on my site and its starting to look messy. Is there a drop down menu feature so i can tidy the links up?

If there isnt one is there anyone who can make it?
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Drop down menu list

Post by Don Chambers »

Something like that can be coded directly into your template. What template are you using? Can you provide an example of exactly what you want?
=Don=
Sparked
Regular

Post by Sparked »

Hi thanks for your quick reply. Firstly this is my website: www.weatherconnect.co.uk

I am using Bulletproof V1.4.

Basically i just need something where i can put some links into different areas and they would then be available from a drop down menu.

E.g on my Site i would have the word Forecasts and then in the drop down menu from that i would have the Short Range and Long range forecast links.

Hope that makes sense. :)
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I think what you are describing is similar, if not identical, to the navigation bars built into the Kinetic Template, correct?

That template generates subnavigation is selected as a template option. Bulletproof does not have subnavigation.

You could eliminate the template's automatic subnavigation and replace it with something hard coded into the template's index.tpl file. Google "suckerfish" for code examples of this style of nav bars.

You could also insert more than a single navigation bar if you wanted.
=Don=
Sparked
Regular

Post by Sparked »

Yes i need something just like the Kinetic template.

Im rubbish at coding however. Could you perhaps expand on the hard code thing please?

Thanks.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Sparked wrote:Yes i need something just like the Kinetic template.
Kinetic is a pre-packaged solution - perhaps it is just what you need! :wink:

More info on Kinetic's navigation here and here. It is very much like Bulletproof with the additional option to support subnavigation.
Sparked wrote:Im rubbish at coding however. Could you perhaps expand on the hard code thing please?
Most templates have a custom index.tpl file - this file is responsible for the content of most pages of your serendipity site. The file is a smarty template file, and contains a mix of HTML and smarty code. Bulletproof is probably the most complex version of this.

Your site using the S-B-S layout option, so you could locate that portion of code, then replace the smarty logic that emits the navbar with your own HTML. You can then add your own stylesheet, or use bulletproof's user.css stylesheet to add whatever css you would need for the proper display of subnavigation links.
=Don=
Sparked
Regular

Post by Sparked »

Hi, where can i find access to Bulletproof CSS templates etc??? Sorry im so rubbish at this. Lol.

Shame its a bit of a tricky task but can hopefully get round it eventually.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Should be /templates/bulletproof/style.css
=Don=
Sparked
Regular

Post by Sparked »

That link does give the chance to see the CSS template but no where to actually change it???
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Sparked wrote:That link does give the chance to see the CSS template but no where to actually change it???
To what link do you refer? You need to modify the template's style.css file, overwriting the existing one.
=Don=
Sparked
Regular

Post by Sparked »

This link allows us to see the CSS: http://www.weatherconnect.co.uk/templat ... /style.css

However, it doesnt give us the option to actually modify it. So where can we modify it?

Sorry for being a pain. Lol. :lol:
abdussamad
Regular

Post by abdussamad »

Sparked wrote:This link allows us to see the CSS: http://www.weatherconnect.co.uk/templat ... /style.css

However, it doesnt give us the option to actually modify it. So where can we modify it?

Sorry for being a pain. Lol. :lol:
I think you are referring to the template modification features found in various forum software like mybb? Well s9y doesn't have a web based editor like that. So you will have to use your FTP program to log into your server, download, edit and upload the style sheet.
MarkJames

Post by MarkJames »

Hi

I am an Admin along with Sparked on the website. Thought i would join seems as though i help him out in the site creating flash banners etc... We currently have quite a lot of links. We really need some sort of drop down menu. Unfortunately we are struggling to get some help in editing the skin template. We do know someone however they are currently unable to help due to being very busy. There are pre set templates in the admin panel of the website. Do any of them support drop down menus without having to edit loads of code?

I tried opening the template that sparked posted however it keeps opening its in dream waver. Something I'm not familiar with. Would it be possible for someone to post a few links of templates that support the drop down menu?

Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

MarkJames wrote:There are pre set templates in the admin panel of the website. Do any of them support drop down menus without having to edit loads of code?
None of the bundled templates support drop down subnavigation. Did you check out the references above to the Kinetic template? It might be just what you are looking for. Another option to consider would be using a jquery solution.
=Don=
MarkJames

Post by MarkJames »

Will take a look at those :)