someone successful running mobile output plugin with v1.5?

Creating and modifying plugins.
lama
Regular

someone successful running mobile output plugin with v1.5?

Post by lama »

i cant get the mobile output plugin to work with v1.5, i dont know whats the cause.
it just switches to bulletproof css on the iphone, but wont load any content.
is this a common problem or did i mess up my install?
greetz

(sry, did not know if this is for "bugs" or for "plugins"-cat)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: someone successful running mobile output plugin with v1.5?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Did you upgrade a previous s9y version, or did you install it new? Basically the plugin should work just like with previous s9y versions... however, I have only little experience with it...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
lama
Regular

Post by lama »

sorry for my late reply.
i did a fresh install of 1.51 when i got this problem.
could the plugin-order be responsible for this?
i didnt figure out yet what effect this plugin-order has for the system.

which sort of plugs should get a higher position, which one better low?

[edit] just confirmed: problem with no output still exists after a (smooth and flawless) upgrade to 1.52
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

That depends on the other plugins, which ones are you using? And how did you configure the mobile output plugin, which options did you set?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
lama
Regular

Post by lama »

hm..
i have tested all sorts of plugin-configs, same result. I get only the <div> sections, but the content is missing.

i contacted the author of the plugin, he had no idea whats causing the problem...
he mentioned, that its very easy to check, if the plugin is working correct on a host:
install the "user agent switcher" in firefox,
install the "mobile output" plugin on your blog,
in plugin options set "activate plugin" to yes, everything else to "no",
use your brand new user agend switcher to switch to iPhone 3.0,
reload your blog.
i only get the "serendipity_banner"-div, and thats it. :cry:

but i like this plugin, its really cool, much more cooler than browsing such a site with a standard browser and no output plugin.
whats important and what really moves people is not the form, its always the content. surfing with mobiles is power consumpting, they render the pages slow, and you wouldnt use an iphone to surf for killing time. i have a palm tx, a lifebook tablet pc, and an iphone 3, and i wouldnt use anything of this for everyday surfing. its not comfortable enough, it costs much more time to write an URL with a touchscreen etc, people dont have a full flatrate with it (the speed at e.g. T-Online gets reduced when your traffic is over the limit of 4GB), some people dont have a flatrate at all.
its the same for twitter: i dont twitter with the twitter website, i twitter with the twitter app of course, its much faster and very handy. 8)

i have another serendipity, other setup, other style, other plugins, but get the exactly same (broken) output. but its the same server (ubuntu 8.04 LTS).

so it would help my debugging efforts much, if someone could confirm that this plugin is broken.
then i could eleminate the possibility that its related to my server.
i'll try to find the problem, but the plugin-class has ~40kb of (well written) code, and it will take my rusted h4xx0rsk1llz some time to debug this. tipps and feedback are welcome. :wink:

greetz
lama
Regular

Post by lama »

ok... lol...
i found the error rather quick, looking at my apache log...

"GET /templates/xhtml_mp/_style.css HTTP/1.1" 404

seems the default templates dont get installed when installing the plug with spartacus.
the config page for the plug tells you they are included, but they are not. you get them when you download the whole package from http://c.mobile-seo.de/ though.

i can understand the problem, because a plugin shouldnt be able to install files outside the plugins-directory, but perhaps you should divide the archive then, 1 for plugin and 1 for style, and install them in one shot from the right locations. this way you wouldnt need to open the plugin install routine for other folders perhaps.
the old fans of serendipity of course didnt have this problem, they have installed the plug before spartacus time, and had the templates in place. and the new ppl who just tried a blog system like serendipity didnt post their problems here, they would just switch to the next blog system untill they found the one they get their main features running. i personally switched to wpmu just because i didnt get this plug running, but imho wp is totally bugged and annoying, so i switched back to serendipity and tried to get this solved. lucky me:-)

greetz and keep up the good work:-)
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Well, great you found that. Every event-plugin can have a css-hook, so it should be possible to emit the css there and don't have to fight with /templates/default.