Issues after changing path of domain

Having trouble installing serendipity?
JoeF
Regular

Issues after changing path of domain

Post by JoeF »

Hello everybody, I hope you can help me with my little problem.

I installed Serendipity on my server under "www.domain.de/blog/serendipity" and it worked perfectly (so much better than WP and MT which I tried before).

I changed the layout, created categories, wrote entries. When I thought it was okay, I changed the path in my domain admin software from "/domain/" to "/domain/blog/serendipity/" so I could start the blog by just entering the URL "www.domain.de" in the browser.

I was surprised to see it did not work anymore. I changed the path in the .htaccess file and the index.php file was found then, but all images were not displayed and all links were dead. So obviously there are more paths that need to be changed.

As a workaround I put an index.html file in the main folder that redirects to the Serendipity folder - which works. But I am not happy with this since I guess it is not very helpful regarding SEO.

Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks,
Joe
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Issues after changing path of domain

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yes, serendipity does not allow you to change paths without telling serendipity so, because relative paths are all around the confiugration and even inside your entries.

The best thing to do is search the MySQL database on a SQL export dump and do a search+replace with your old path and the new path.

You could of course also do that by editing each entry, searching for possible absolute paths for images, and check the configuration of each plugin, and the core Serendipity configuration to adjust the proper paths.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
JoeF
Regular

Re: Issues after changing path of domain

Post by JoeF »

Hi Garvin,

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, thats what I guessed. :( My SQL knowledge got a bit rusty, I made my last query many years ago. So I might leave the thing as it is.

Thanks again,
Joe