RSS feeds reported as unmodified after publishing an entry

Found a bug? Tell us!!
Cenic
Regular

RSS feeds reported as unmodified after publishing an entry

Post by Cenic »

Hi,

I just discovered an oddness that I believe is a bug. Today I published a new entry in my blog. Looking at the webserver logs I noticed that all accesses to the feeds (like /feeds/atom10.xml) were answered with a HTTP 304 Document Unmodified response. I downloaded the XML and the new entry is included with

Code: Select all

<published>2009-10-04T15:31:00Z</published>
<updated>2009-08-24T18:25:26Z</updated>
A trace of the network packets showed, that everybody is accessing the feed with a Modified-Since header that asks for updates since 2009-08-24 and my webserver happily responds with Document Unmodified. For the just published entry I find the following timestamps in the entries table (converted to readable output):

timestamp      |    last_modified    
--------------------+---------------------
2009-10-04 15:31:00 | 2009-08-24 18:25:26
Looking at include/admin/entries.inc.php I believe the following is happening: I created the entry on August 24th. I edited it a couple of times as draft and used the clock button to adjust the time. But that only seems to have an effect on the timestamp and not the last_modified attribute. When I finally published the article today it is still marked as old in the database. In my opinion the last_modified attribute should be adjusted for every save operation as well. I looked into the 1.5 beta code (I'm still on 1.4.1) and it doesn't seem to have changed there. Maybe this could be fixed before 1.5 comes out?

Regards,
Stefan
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution. (Robert Sewell)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: RSS feeds reported as unmodified after publishing an entry

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Thanks for mentioning this. Indeed I remember this has came up at some point in 1.5 developemnt, and I think we did some changes there; either inside the rss.php file or inside the include/functions_entries.inc.php.

Since 1.5 is close to final release, maybe you'd like to help inspect this issue and upgrade to the recent snapshot to tell me if its fixed?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Cenic
Regular

Post by Cenic »

Hi Garvin,

I have compared the two files you mentioned from the latest snapshot (the last three are empty BTW) to my installed files. That is

<?php # $Id: functions_entries.inc.php 2395 2008-12-09 10:05:33Z garvinhicking $
<?php # $Id: rss.php 2326 2008-08-27 19:20:23Z garvinhicking $
in my 1.4.1 installation and

<?php # $Id: functions_entries.inc.php 2583 2009-09-12 11:18:28Z garvinhicking $
<?php # $Id: rss.php 2446 2009-01-30 14:03:31Z garvinhicking $
in the current snapshot. Unfortunately I don't see any change that involves the timestamps. Around line 1296 there is the following code in serendipity_updertEntry which you might have in mind:

if (!isset($entry['last_modified']) || !is_numeric($entry['last_modified'])) {
    $entry['last_modified'] = $entry['timestamp'];
}
I guess that is never executed again, since the existing entry in draft mode in fact has a last_modified attribute. Shouldn't last_modified be the maximum of timestamp and the current time, that is

$entry['last_modified'] = max($entry['timestamp'], time());
without any additional condition to make sure it is updated whenever the entry is saved?

Regards,
Stefan
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I'm sorry, I then must have confused something. No reason came to my mind why last_modified should not be inreased; the current code logic would only set it, if the entry has not been in draft mode before.

I patched it like you suggested, to always update last_modified = time().

Thanks,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Cenic
Regular

Post by Cenic »

Hi Garvin,

thanks for your support!
Looking forward to the 1.5 release.

Regards,
Stefan
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution. (Robert Sewell)