removing items from blog home but keeping them in archives

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
chelmers12

removing items from blog home but keeping them in archives

Post by chelmers12 »

I have a daily post that I would like to remove from the blog home page each day (to be replaced by the new daily post) but I want to keep the old ones in archives. I can't find a way to control this. Can you help?
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: removing items from blog home but keeping them in archives

Post by Don Chambers »

Change the number of items to display in the frontpage to just a single entry:

Administration -> Configuration -> Appearance and Options -> Entries to display on frontpage
=Don=
chelmers12

Post by chelmers12 »

That won't work because I will have additional entries that I want to show on the home page as well. The number of entries that I want to show will vary at any given time. Any other ideas? Thanks.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Sounds as if a magazine template like Kinetic or Mimbo is what you're looking for.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

chelmers12 wrote:That won't work because I will have additional entries that I want to show on the home page as well. The number of entries that I want to show will vary at any given time. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Sorry - thought "daily post" also meant "only post". That sort of thing will require either custom coding or, as Yellowled suggests, you could try one of the templates that was designed to group frontpage entries by category. Check out the Kinetic demo in my signature below and let me know if this is the functionality you are looking for.
=Don=
abdussamad
Regular

Post by abdussamad »

Install the extended entry properties plugin. It gives you an option to hide any blog post from the "overview pages and RSS feeds" which will make the post dissappear from the front page.

An alternative is to setup a custom field for each entry. For every post that you don't want to display on the front page, fill the custom field with something. Then inside entries.tpl:

Code: Select all

{foreach from=$entries item="dategroup"}
{foreach from=$dategroup.entries item="entry"}

{if $startpage and $entry.properties.ep_hideonindex=="yes"}

{* do nothing *}

{else}

{* normal entry display code goes here *}

{/if}

{/foreach}
{/foreach}
The advantage of the second solution is that you can hide a post from the frontpage but still have it show up in the RSS feeds.