Keeping the Blog Title the same always

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
dgu5656
Regular

Keeping the Blog Title the same always

Post by dgu5656 »

First, let me say that all you developers out there are great. It's amazing how much I've learned over the years from all of you.

Because of your extensive literature and posting I have gotten fairly adept at modifying basic layouts, using css and javascript. This is the address of my blog:

http://www.greenmanblog.com

I am stumped on one issue, though. My blog title is just the way I want it: big, bold, slight shadow effect, color, etc. But of course if a user clicks on an archived article, the article's title jumps up and replaces the blog title.

Since a few of the titles are long, the result is that I get this horrible multi-word article title that is far too big for the header.

What I want is to keep the blog title always up, never changing, even if a user is clicking from one article to another. If this isn't possible, is there a way to downsize the article titles so when they appear in the header they are not formatted as big as my title is?

I hope I made this clear. The title "Geen Man Blog" looks great. But when an article title like, "Rest In Peace, Raymond Mathias," pops up, it looks bad. I just want my blog title to stay put and never change, similiar to what I see on other blog layouts.

Thank-you so much in advance for your time and trouble.

Dave Urban
yellowled
Regular

Re: Keeping the Blog Title the same always

Post by yellowled »

dgu5656 wrote:What I want is to keep the blog title always up, never changing, even if a user is clicking from one article to another.
In your index.tpl, find every instance of

Code: Select all

{$head_title|@default:$blogTitle|truncate:80:" ..."}
in the <body> (not in the <head>!), and replace it with

Code: Select all

{$blogTitle}
That should do the trick.

YL
dgu5656
Regular

Post by dgu5656 »

Fantastic. Worked perfectly. Thank you so much for everything.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Oh, I forgot: This is not safe in case of an update. Unfortunately, there is no solution but to keep a backup of your edited index.tpl and "backport" your changes, i.e. add them again to an updated index.tpl in case of an updated s9y and/or BP.

Since BP is shipped w/ s9y, you'll have to do this every time you update s9y. Sorry :)

YL
dgu5656
Regular

Post by dgu5656 »

Got it, thanks. Fortunately, I keep a "double" of all my edited files, plus my user.css file, on my computer. But thanks for the reminder.