Calendar plugin?

Creating and modifying plugins.
hyejohn
Regular

Calendar plugin?

Post by hyejohn »

I'm need something like the PHPEventCalendar (http://www.phpcodeworks.com/pec/downloads) as a staticpage-plugin like the contact form or gallery, where it would appear as the main content. Does something like this already exist (and I just haven't run across it yet?) or do I need to figure out how to create my own plugin?

I don't want to use the php-plugin - I want an actual serendipity plugin that I can maintain as a static page from the serendipity admin screens.
~John
That Photographer guy in Michigan
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Calendar plugin?

Post by garvinhicking »

HI!

No, there's no custom plugin for that. Only serendipity_event_mycalendar, which only displays as a sidebar.

So you could only use such a plugin to display it inside an iframe, by using the serendipity_event_wrapurl plugin.

Another way would be to create a staticpage, install the "Smarty markup" plugin and enable it for staticpages, then use {php}...{/php} tags to include a foreign calendar application. Or maybe use the serendipity_event_externalphp plugin to completely include a remote PHP file, which you've already mentioned.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
hyejohn
Regular

Post by hyejohn »

I've been thinking about this abit....

Could the mycalendar plugin be modified to output to a static page instead of a sidebar?

The event entry and DB structure would lend to it.

The change would be to output to a a formatted calendar template (mycalendar.tpl)?
~John
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Garvin earlier mentioned installing the smarty markup plugin and activating it for static pages... if you did that, you could then use

Code: Select all

{serendipity_showPlugin class="class="serendipity_your_nugget"}
I'm not sure what the class is for the calendar, but once you have it in your sidebar, you can view your page source to see it's class.
=Don=
hyejohn
Regular

Post by hyejohn »

Don Chambers wrote:Garvin earlier mentioned installing the smarty markup plugin and activating it for static pages... if you did that, you could then use

Code: Select all

{serendipity_showPlugin class="class="serendipity_your_nugget"}
I'm not sure what the class is for the calendar, but once you have it in your sidebar, you can view your page source to see it's class.
Wouldn't that take the content of the side bar and just put it on the page? (As a list of events?)

I want to get something that looks like this: http://afternoonstudios.com/calendar/

On thinking further, I may need to just create this one page outside of serendipity since I need to grant access to it to a few additional users. (Which is pretty much how I have it now.)
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I've never really looked closely at that plugin. I would personally love to have a true event calendar plugin, which was your first request. However, we do not have anything like that at this time. Your best bet is either a stand alone script, or one of Garvin's earlier recommendations to include a foreign script.
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yes, the plugin could be modified to also display as a event plugin on its own page. I'd happily commit such a code contribution! :-)

I think there are many well-done calendar scripts out there, and I don't feel the need to use my spare/free time to reinvent the wheel on standalone utilites like these, so I cannot offer free coding for that. I am available for hire, though. ;-)

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Just recognized this thread...
I made a phpeventcal plugin a while ago, following the orginal event cal on php.net
and it worked for my purposes. Don't know if this still works with 1.4/1.5 versions.
If anybody wants to have a try, just drop a PM.

Ian
hyejohn
Regular

Post by hyejohn »

Timbalu wrote:Just recognized this thread...
I made a phpeventcal plugin a while ago, following the orginal event cal on php.net
and it worked for my purposes. Don't know if this still works with 1.4/1.5 versions.
If anybody wants to have a try, just drop a PM.

Ian
Are you using it on any websites right now? I'd love to have a look. Unfortunately, the next few months are my busy season (Photography) so I won't have too much time to test. I would like to try it out once I get some free time though. Probably towards the end of December.
~John
~John
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

No sorry there isn`t a example for now, The original website closed...
But it looks like the one at afternoonstudios.
Ok just drop a PM if you find time, or maybe Garvin wants it for the plugin section.

Ian