Cannot execute the convert imagemagick binary

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Hibbard2

Post by Hibbard2 »

Hello, I just uploaded all files, entered install, database, other settings, but when I click 'complete installation' a red error message comes up at the top of the page:

The path is confirmed correct (/usr/bin/convert) and the imagemagick file opens fine. Why can't I continue the installation? Please advise.

Thanks!
judebert
Regular

Re: Cannot execute the convert imagemagick binary

Post by judebert »

I'm checking this against the 1.4 code; I don't know if that's what you're using, but it's a pretty safe assumption that this code hasn't changed much in a while.

Serendipity is using the PHP function is_executable() against the convert binary file. If your PHP installation doesn't include is_executable(), or convert is not executable for the web user, then Serendipity will present this error.

PHP didn't include is_executable() with Windows until 5.0. If you're trying to use PHP 4.0 on a Windows server, this may be the cause of your problems.

You can make a small PHP program to see where the error lies:

Code: Select all

<?php
if (!function_exists('is_executable')) {
  echo "No PHP is_executable() function!";
} else if (!is_executable('/usr/bin/convert')) {
  echo "Couldn't execute /usr/bin/convert!";
} else {
  echo "No Serendipity installation problems detected.";
}
?>
Save that on your webserver in the Serendipity root directory, give it executable permissions, and try to access it from your browser. It'll either tell you what's wrong, or tell me that I'm not as smart as I think I am. :lol:
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal