Installation.

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Sere(n)ewbie

Installation.

Post by Sere(n)ewbie »

I downloaded the Serendipity, which didn't contain the template_c, extracted it, uploaded it and all that stuff. I changed the chmod to what it was needed and then entered all the databank and after that continued with installation. I had no noticable installation problems.

Then when is started serendipity on my website, to config and to start editing i got the following error:

Query failed:
SELECT

e.id,
e.title,
e.timestamp,
e.comments,
e.exflag,
e.author,
e.authorid,
e.trackbacks,
e.isdraft,
e.allow_comments,
e.last_modified,

a.realname AS author,
a.email

, e.body, e.extended

FROM
serendipity_entries AS e
LEFT JOIN serendipity_authors a
ON e.authorid = a.authorid
LEFT JOIN serendipity_entrycat ec
ON e.id = ec.entryid
LEFT JOIN serendipity_category c
ON ec.categoryid = c.categoryid

WHERE isdraft = 'false' AND e.timestamp <= '1111709540'
GROUP BY e.id
ORDER BY timestamp DESC
LIMIT 15

/ Table 'w11310-ser.serendipity_entries' doesn't exist
Looks like there is a table missing, or some database problems.
I really don't know wha else to do, therefore I'm asking you , the experts for help.

Some other questions:

Serendipity is a content managment system, right, which can be individually skinned.? Or am I mistaken.

Is the themes link on the main serendipity site broken, or where can i donwload skins for it?

thanks for all the great help.

Andreas
Sere(n)ewbie

Update:

Post by Sere(n)ewbie »

I downloaded an older Version 0.71 or so.
I had no problems with uploading and installation procedere. I still would like to know what went wrong with the newer edition. Well gonna start playing alittle bot more now.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Installation.

Post by garvinhicking »

Are you sure you got a proper and valid archive tarball? Because the official release files *do* contain the templates_c folder!

What database name and prefix did you use for installing? Seems you used 'w11310-ser' as dbname and 'serendipity_' as dbPrefix. Does the database "w11310-ser" really exist? Usually the '-' character is not allowed in DB names?!? That may be the reason that the SQL creation failed. Another reason might have been that your sql/db.sql file was missing?

About your other questions:

1. It is a blog system, not a CMS. It has many aspects of a CMS but is suited to make blogging perfect, and not content publishing. :) And it definitely can be skinned because of the great smarty templating.

2. It currently is broken, yes - will be available once we migrated completely to our new Wiki system. You can get the templates via CVS (module 'additional_themes')) and many of them are bundled.

Have fun,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Zorro

Download archive broken?

Post by Zorro »

Garvin,

I just downloaded the latest release from your downloads page - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/php- ... z?download - and it does not contain a templates_c folder. What's more, it does not contain any .sql files so the installation fails with the same effect as the first poster reported.

I was trying a fresh install of Serendipity, I don't have an older version installed.

Kind regards,
Zorro
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Download archive broken?

Post by garvinhicking »

Zorro,

your download is corrupted or you extracted the file wrong. templates_c as well as the 'sql' subdirectories exist in all my 3 tests with 3 idfferent mirrors.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/

Post by Guest »

It looks like there might have been a problem on my machine at work. Using RAR under Windows failed extracting those directories.

Now I tried the same archive on my Linux box at home, et voila - everything works. It's still strange, because normally RAR extracts tar.gz archives just fine - first time I'd had this happen to me.

Thanks for taking the time to check the downloads out, Garvin.

Kind regards,
Zorro

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem.

I dont have linux on my PC so i cant extract them properly. can anyone help me ?
Superteddy
Regular

Post by Superteddy »

Anonymous wrote:I have the same problem.

I dont have linux on my PC so i cant extract them properly. can anyone help me ?
forgot to log in.

I found out that WinZip extracts the bundle just fine. So that future people that have the same problems see that there is a sullution..

/cheers