Findmore Plugin Placement

Creating and modifying plugins.
TKS
Regular

Findmore Plugin Placement

Post by TKS »

Currently, the findmore plugin places all of its links BELOW my entry. This makes it look like it is for the NEXT entry instead of the entry it is for.

I'd like to move the findmore plugin display from being UNDER the entry to in between author, category, comments and my defined tags for the entry.

It would in fact, be better if it were just above the horizontal rule for the article...it makes more sense to be there OR just below the title of the article.

How does one move this to a more suitable location?
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

The styles for your entry footer are pushing the findmore icons down a bit with the margins set here:

#serendipity_entryFooter {
border-top:1px solid #CCCCCC;
clear:left;
font-size:90%;
margin:10px 0pt 20px;
padding:2px 0px 0px;
}

You could decrease the entryFooter bottom margin and add it back to the <div class="serendipity_findmore">, ie:

Code: Select all

#serendipity_entryFooter {
    border-top:1px solid #CCCCCC;
    clear:left;
    font-size:90%;
    margin:10px 0 50px 0;
    padding:2px 0px 0px;
}

.serendipity_findmore {margin-bottom: 20px}
=Don=
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

Ok, got it...but had to make different changes than what you had above. Thanks for your help.

Code: Select all

#serendipity_entryFooter {padding: 2px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 10px 0 0 10px;
        font-size: 90%; border-top: 1px solid #ccc; clear:left; }
.serendipity_findmore {margin-bottom: 30px}
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

TKS - I also misread your original message, and now realize you wanted the findmore icons within the entry footer, not after the entire entry. I don't think that plugin has that ability, but you could do it yourself.

If you search the forum, you will find more than one recommendation to not use the plugin at all, but rather place its output exactly where you want it within your entries.tpl file. I believe the plugin has a plugin_findmore.tpl file that has the code pieces you would need to relocate to entries.tpl. I vaguely recall trying this myself once upon a time, and it was not difficult.

Personally, I prefer to use the single button from AddThis.com - and I outlined how you can do that here: http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?t=11535

In fact, I liked it so much that I added it to the bulletproof template as a template option! :)
=Don=
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

Don Chambers wrote:TKS - I also misread your original message, and now realize you wanted the findmore icons within the entry footer, not after the entire entry. I don't think that plugin has that ability, but you could do it yourself.

If you search the forum, you will find more than one recommendation to not use the plugin at all, but rather place its output exactly where you want it within your entries.tpl file. I believe the plugin has a plugin_findmore.tpl file that has the code pieces you would need to relocate to entries.tpl. I vaguely recall trying this myself once upon a time, and it was not difficult.

Personally, I prefer to use the single button from AddThis.com - and I outlined how you can do that here: http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?t=11535

In fact, I liked it so much that I added it to the bulletproof template as a template option! :)
The only problem with this is that updates will then be handled by myself...which means if a URL of a service changes, I have to track it. I wanted to keep it so that upstream provides the updates instead of trying to track all the services myself.

It's like compiling from source or installing through your package manager...I'd rather have the package manager handling updates instead of me doing it.

Call it laziness...whatever :D I call it being smart. :P