upgrading to 1.3 Problems.

Having trouble installing serendipity?
chrisbra
Regular

upgrading to 1.3 Problems.

Post by chrisbra »

Hi,
I have 4 blogs, that I just upgraded to s9y 1.3. I noticed, that neither of them shows the karma plugin, although it is installed. Anybody knows what happened? Might be a problem of the template, but they use different templates.
Second, all Blogs have the statistics Plugin installed, but it now prints out
PLUGIN_EVENT_STATISTICS_TEXT_DAYVISITORS and EVENT_STATISTICS_TEXT_WEEKVISITORS. Seems like there are some strings missing in the lang.inc.php files.
Oh yes, this is a blog where the karma plugin is not shown anymore.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Your Karma plugin is installed - but appears to be configured to only show on extended page views.

That plugin was substantially re-written for 1.3, including the ability to use a graphical rating display. Suggest you go to configure plugins -> karma and verify all the options are as you wish them to be, then save.

As far as the language constants, it would appear that the plugin was updated to include new constants and those constants were not defined in all the language files.
=Don=
chrisbra
Regular

Post by chrisbra »

Thanks for looking.
I forgot to mention that I already looked at configuration for the plugin. The karma-plugin is installed and it is configured to be shown on every article. At a look, all configure options seem to be ok, that's why I am confused and I really do not understand why it is not shown.

regards,
christian
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Could you take a screenshot of your karma plugin configuration? I helped with that rewrite, and I can tell a lot more of what's going on if I can see the configuration.

Beyond that, it looks like Don is correct: I see karma voting on the extended page, but not the front page. Perhaps it's a problem with my coding for backwards compatibility. If I can figure out what the configuration settings are, I'll be better able to help.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
chrisbra
Regular

Post by chrisbra »

Here we go:
karma_options.jpg
karma_appearance.jpg
karma_text.jpg
all default settings after upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

regards,
Christian
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Now, with all those settings on default, did you save the settings?
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Thanks for the screenshots! With those settings, you should be seeing a rating bar with yellow and green stars; instead, we're seeing the actual karma text.

I think Don's suggestion of visiting the options and clicking Save might work for you.

I don't think we've ever tested the karma plugin with Top Exits enabled, either. If just saving the options doesn't work, try turning that off.
Judebert
---
chrisbra
Regular

Post by chrisbra »

I already tried the turn off, save, turn on save again trick. Did not work. On your suggestion I tried saving it again. As expected, did not work. Neither did disabling top exits...

Any other suggestions ;) Mabe a template problem?

regards,
Christian
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Well, you've got the graphical star rating bar now. Of course, that's not what you were looking for, but it shows us that the options have been saved.

I assume your "Only extended article" option is still "No". Mine is too, and I'm displaying the karma bar on my front page as expected.

We're both using Bulletproof, so I don't think the template is causing the problem. Unless you modified it in an extremely unusual way. I searched your front page source, just in case, and I can't find the karma divs or links anywhere (they're all marked with karmaVoting or similar class names).

Are you using a static page for your front page?

The karma plugin creates its rating bars in the 'entry_display' hook. It uses the information in the $eventData to find all the entries to create rating bars for. I suppose that information might be messed up by an earlier event plugin. An earlier event plugin could also turn on the 'skiphooks' attribute, preventing the karma plugin's hook from being called at all.

Does the behavior change if you move the Karma plugin to the top of the plugin list?

I suppose it's possible something is wrong in the template option table in the database. If all else fails, look in your serendipity_config table and find all the serendipity_event_karma options. These will start with serendipity_event_karma, then a hash key, then the actual option. Make sure only one hash key is used in the table, and that the extended_only option is actually set to false.

Are you using some kind of caching on your server?

Those are the only things I can think of right now. Let me know what happens.
Judebert
---
chrisbra
Regular

Post by chrisbra »

judebert wrote:Well, you've got the graphical star rating bar now. Of course, that's not what you were looking for, but it shows us that the options have been saved.

I assume your "Only extended article" option is still "No". Mine is too, and I'm displaying the karma bar on my front page as expected.
Yes that's true.
judebert wrote: We're both using Bulletproof, so I don't think the template is causing the problem. Unless you modified it in an extremely unusual way. I searched your front page source, just in case, and I can't find the karma divs or links anywhere (they're all marked with karmaVoting or similar class names).
Neither can I :(
judebert wrote: Are you using a static page for your front page?
Definitely No.
judebert wrote: The karma plugin creates its rating bars in the 'entry_display' hook. It uses the information in the $eventData to find all the entries to create rating bars for. I suppose that information might be messed up by an earlier event plugin. An earlier event plugin could also turn on the 'skiphooks' attribute, preventing the karma plugin's hook from being called at all.

Does the behavior change if you move the Karma plugin to the top of the plugin list?
No it does not. I moved it to the top, without any success. Additionally I have the following plugins installed (in order installed):
Karma (vers:2.0)
Markup Emoticate (1.6)
Markup Geshi (0.6)
Markup BBCode (2.09)
Markup: NL2BR (1.7)
Markup Serendipity (1.3)
Spam Protector (1.7)
Markup: Track exits (1.9)
Browser Compatibility (1.1)
Spartacus (2.15)
Statistics (1.48)
Fix common XHTML errors (1.5)
Feedburner FeedFlare(1.3)
and 2 Errors (I did not notice them before and I cannot remove them. I suppose they came from an failed serendipity_event_page_nugget installation, anyway, is there a way to remove them?).

Nothing too fancy I'll say.
judebert wrote: I suppose it's possible something is wrong in the template option table in the database. If all else fails, look in your serendipity_config table and find all the serendipity_event_karma options. These will start with serendipity_event_karma, then a hash key, then the actual option. Make sure only one hash key is used in the table, and that the extended_only option is actually set to false.
Yes that is the case:
mysql.txt
(table_name garbled).
judebert wrote: Are you using some kind of caching on your server?
No.
judebert wrote: Those are the only things I can think of right now. Let me know what happens.
Thanks for your help ;)
I appreciate it.

regards, Christian
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

No problem. I have some personal interest in keeping the Karma plugin working correctly.

You, however, seem to have some sort of personal poltergeist messing things up for us. I can't imagine why this isn't working. I'm fresh out of ideas.

The only thing we could do is to add some logging/debugging code to the Karma plugin, so we can see directly what's going on. I can write the logging, but I don't have an installation that duplicates your problem, so there's no point in me running it myself.

If you're willing to run a debugging version of the Karma plugin, let me know and I'll create one for you. Then we can dig a little deeper.
Judebert
---
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Well, those errors might be causing some trouble, too. You obviously have some SQL knowledge, so let's try to eliminate those, shall we?

I believe the table we want is {prefix}_plugins. It contains both sidebar and event plugins. Be careful here, since you're modifying the database. Have a backup, just in case.

Match the entries with placement 'event' against your event plugins. Remove the ones that don't exist.

I'd be interested in knowing what those errors are, incidentally.
Judebert
---
chrisbra
Regular

Post by chrisbra »

judebert wrote:Well, those errors might be causing some trouble, too. You obviously have some SQL knowledge, so let's try to eliminate those, shall we?

I believe the table we want is {prefix}_plugins. It contains both sidebar and event plugins. Be careful here, since you're modifying the database. Have a backup, just in case.

Match the entries with placement 'event' against your event plugins. Remove the ones that don't exist.

I'd be interested in knowing what those errors are, incidentally.
thanks that worked.

regards,
Christian
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

What, you mean it fixed the Karma plugin, too?

Wow. Glad it worked! If you ever figure out what caused the errors, I'd like to know so I can prevent it from happening to others.
Judebert
---
chrisbra
Regular

Post by chrisbra »

judebert wrote:No problem. I have some personal interest in keeping the Karma plugin working correctly.

You, however, seem to have some sort of personal poltergeist messing things up for us. I can't imagine why this isn't working. I'm fresh out of ideas.

The only thing we could do is to add some logging/debugging code to the Karma plugin, so we can see directly what's going on. I can write the logging, but I don't have an installation that duplicates your problem, so there's no point in me running it myself.

If you're willing to run a debugging version of the Karma plugin, let me know and I'll create one for you. Then we can dig a little deeper.
Thanks, I already looked into the code. If I put debug print statements into the plugin, like enabling the debug-statement, I can see the output of the plugin.
My guess now is the following:
the footer gets successfully modified, but for some reason, it is not displayed below the entries, only in extended mode. Does this make sense? How would I change this?

regards,
Christian