Ported: Gossip City 2

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
yellowled
Regular

Ported: Gossip City 2

Post by yellowled »

What can I say? Gossip City 2 (English/German blog entry) was kind of a conflict. The looks are too good to let it pass, but the code is mediocre at best. I decided to port it anway :)

YL
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Nice looking template, there! What's up with the code being mediocre?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:Nice looking template, there! What's up with the code being mediocre?
Well, let's just say if you're a code purist, somebody who cherishes semantic HTML ... there's a good chance you might need some kind of bag if you take a look at the code. It's not exactly beautiful, but does the job.

YL
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

Is there a way to work with the right side section to maybe make a sidebar plugin display in it or change the Advertising label and maybe the width?

Thanks for the theme. Very nice...
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

davecjr wrote:Is there a way to work with the right side section to maybe make a sidebar plugin display in it or change the Advertising label and maybe the width?
The easiest way would be to add an additional sidebar. You would have, say, "left", "right", "hidden", and "bottom" in the plugin configuration, and you could assign the sidebar plugins to your liking.

Unfortunately, this is something I have never done in a template, so it may need some time to implement :)

A quick fix to use the empty space (if you don't use GoogleAds in the left-right sidebar) would be to edit the style.css like this:

Code: Select all

/* Side Right Left +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ */
.SRL { width: 390px; float: left; padding: 0px;}

/* Side Right Right +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ */
.SRR { width: 0px; float: right; padding: 0px;}
That should give your left-left sidebar the combined width of the left-left and left-right sidebar, and makes the left-right sidebar disappear. However, this a rather "dirty" CSS hack, and it's also untested, so it may or may not work in various browsers, especially in IE.

YL
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

Now I've used this for a few days for my wife's elementary class and she likes the way it turned out. The CSS hacks you mention are more than I want to screw it up! The 'Advertising' area works great for something like 'Student of the Week' so the plugin idea I asked about isn't necessary at all. If I could just change the word 'Advertising' to like 'Student of the Week', I'd tell my wife that she is out of change requests! I am probably missing something easy here but I have looked through all the .tpl and .css files and can't find the word 'Advertising' anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again for the template.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

davecjr wrote:If I could just change the word 'Advertising' to like 'Student of the Week', I'd tell my wife that she is out of change requests!
So go ahead and tell your wife she's out of change requests! :-)

This word is actually a variable set in the lang_*.inc.php files. Open both lang_en.inc.php and UTF-8/lang_en.inc.php in your favourite text editor and change:

@define('GC_ADSPACE', 'Advertising');
to:

@define('GC_ADSPACE', 'Student of the Week');
(Don't forget to save your changes!)

If you don't have a favourite text editor, I recomment notepad++ under Windows, TextMate under MacOS, and if you don't have a favourite text editor under Linux, you're not a real Linux user :wink:

YL
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

yellowled wrote:
davecjr wrote:If I could just change the word 'Advertising' to like 'Student of the Week', I'd tell my wife that she is out of change requests!
So go ahead and tell your wife she's out of change requests! :-)
YL, are you married? :lol:

I'd wind up with nothing for dinner, because I'm out of meal tickets.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:
yellowled wrote:So go ahead and tell your wife she's out of change requests! :-)
YL, are you married? :lol:
Why, of course I'm not :)
judebert wrote:I'd wind up with nothing for dinner, because I'm out of meal tickets.
Well, my girlfriend is kind of a vegetarian, so meal tickets have a whole new meaning for me :wink:

YL