Security issues, setting up anonymous posting.

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
guy

Security issues, setting up anonymous posting.

Post by guy »

I want to be able to let anyone post a blog on my site, anonymously (at least from username, not ip).
Of course i would have my admin account have control of what actually gets published, if i ok it or not.
I am wondering first, is this possible?
and secondly, what are the security risks involved with giving anyone a account to my site? i would want to make sure they cant change any settings or passwords..

thanks!
chickens
Regular

Post by chickens »

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam.

Did I say spam? :roll:

Now seriously, if you allow anyone to post to your site it is going to be spammed. I mean, it is going to be hit quite hard by spam bots. I would HIGHLY recommend against allowing anyone post without any sort of record for what they are doing. Even if you implement a captcha people will still spam, especially if your site has any sort of value in Google.

If you are looking to go the route of allowing anyone to post anything then you might want to look into a forum. It is setup more to handle this kind of thing. There are ways to secure s9y to handle this, but I would highly recommend against it.
guy

Post by guy »

I was worried about spam being a big problem. What im thinking of now is giving a l/p to a few people, and just not having to worry about them ruining my config/settings. Eventually giving the main posters their own account.
If anything, i would limit it to a dozen or so people.. is that still viable?
chickens
Regular

Post by chickens »

There are different user levels inside of s9y. It should be fairly easy to setup exactly what you are looking for inside the user permissions settings.

What you can do is have people register an account (or you could do it for them) and then you can set the permissions for the account. You can do anything from only allowing registered users to comment all the way up to a full admin. I have never played with these permissions myself, but I know for a fact they will do this.