Install successfull but blank front page

Having trouble installing serendipity?
carpo

Install successfull but blank front page

Post by carpo »

Hello,

I have read through the forums and seen similar issues, but none of the suggestions in those threads have seemed to help.

I have just setup a VPS with apache 2, php5 and postgres 8.1. I have developed a S9Y site locally on my windows machine over the past few weeks, and was hoping to copy over the code ... when i did this, the front page was blank. I thought it may have been incompatibility issues, so i did a full reinstall - dropped the database, new code from zip file etc.

The installation page had no errors, and the install goes fine. The database tables are created ok, and the install script says it all went well. However, when i go to the front page, there is nothing there - blank white page. Viewing source shows nothing. There are no errors in the php log or apache logs. I have changed php error settings to show on page and in logs, and nothing shows up. The admin page works, and i can change settings within it, however, the admin style is plain .. looks like no css is being found.

I have tried with url-rewriting and without, I have setup apache with re-writing so that should work. Im pretty lost as to what to do now, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris.
Last edited by carpo on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

Did you copy everything from your local install to a live website, including your serendipity_config_local.inc.php? Because if so, you need to enter your correct database settings into your live website's version.
carpo

Post by carpo »

Yes, i copied that file, but I changed the database info. When that didn't work, i even started from a fresh download of the serendipity zip file, and a completely new database - with the same results.
carpo

Post by carpo »

I traced the issue by putting error_logs through the code. It seems that my PHP installation did not have enough memory set for the memory_limit in php.ini.

The include statements in the lang.inc.php file suppress errors, so nothing was getting logged to the error_log. But once i took out the suppression directive, the following error showed its head:

Code: Select all

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1474560 bytes) in serendipity_lang_en.inc.php on line 849
I checked my local windows install and it seems that the default install of php on windows has a 128MB memory_limit! Ive only got a 256MB VPS, so i hope the 10M I raised it too is enough for serendipity...

Chris