Host transfer with changed username

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Hathor
Regular

Host transfer with changed username

Post by Hathor »

Hi. I've moving my blog to a new host, and the new host gave me a differenty username - which affects the prefixes on my MySql database and database username.

So I changed those values in my serendipity_config_local.inc.php file, but I get an error message of "Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "" in /home/thehatho/public_html/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 1088"

My guess is, the problem is caused by the absolute path having changed. Normally, I would set that in my admin panel, but I still have my DNS pointing to the old host (I want the new host working before I switch from the old), so when I try to change it in there, it defaults to the old host and changes it there.

I guess I need to know what file to open manually in File Manager in order to change the absolute path. And, while you're at it, if there are any other places in the install you can think of that would have the old absolute path or db name/username, please let me know about those too. :D

I hope this is clear enough!

Or... if that's too much trouble, would a fresh install work? I've never tried to do a fresh install, and then hook it up to an existing database. (Current version is 8.0). If that would work, I could do that.
Hathor
Regular

Post by Hathor »

It's still funky. :roll:
kidgoo
Regular

Post by kidgoo »

Hi..

It's saved in the database. You'll need to access the serendipity database, the serendipity_config table and change serendipityPath. Make SURE you have a trailing slash...If you changed the prefix, the table might not have the same name...

If that doesn't work, it might be something you'll need to adjust once you have the DNS updated.

Another option would to export your current blog, then do a fresh install and import it into that one...

Brett
Hathor
Regular

Post by Hathor »

kidgoo wrote:Hi..

It's saved in the database. You'll need to access the serendipity database, the serendipity_config table and change serendipityPath.
thank you! I think that worked, though now I have to see if there's a way to test without changing the DNS to it.