Suggest Entries Plugin

Creating and modifying plugins.
ed587
Regular

Re: Suggest Entries Plugin

Post by ed587 »

Thanks again Don. I can do that with the tpl file. I am still having problems with the suggest event plugin. It gets to the point where it tells me that my suggestion cannot be validated. I feel like I am reinventing the wheel at every step here. Is there any place that will tell me how to set up and use the plugins?
The best,

~Ed
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

The suggestentry plugin is a very special plugin. It was developed specifically for the needs of a commercial client, and luckily was put into spartacus for future developers. So this plugin is a bit different in terms of support and usage than those plugins actually developed for the "open source" serendipity.

Handling the plugin is thus a bit dependant on "your own mileage" and requires one to get deep down dirty to really use the plugin to full advantage.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I tested this plugin once a long time ago, and it worked ok at that time. I have something in mind that this plugin would be useful for, so when I ever find the time to investigate that idea, I will probably begin to dig deeper into its functionality.

What sort of error message are you getting with it?
=Don=
ed587
Regular

Post by ed587 »

Thank you Garvin and Don, for your replies.
So far I can click the suggest entry link in one of my sidebar html nuggets, it brings up the form in my blog shell, I fill it out as a user and submit it. As the user I get an email, I must click a link to verify my suggestion. I click it as the user would and am redirected to a blog shell page that has the message that my 'suggestion could not be verified and to please check my submission'. The intital email to the user holds a key, in this case it was...
...serendipity/?suggestkey=555301cc15f52fdd8762b170154eda42

So maybe I need to install the Recaptcha plugin.
The best,

~Ed
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Out of curiosity, I took a quick look. First problem I ran into was that it would not submit the form at all, saying fields were empty, even though they were not.

I checked my spam protector settings, and I had specified required fields. Once I removed those, the submission worked.... but it didn't submit because the sandbox I was testing it on does not have email. I'll have to test this on one of my other "live" sandboxes when I have more time.

Something I noticed right away was that the english language file seems to have defined many more configuration options than I see when installing the plugin. These could be left overs from an earlier version, or perhaps I just have not dug deeply enough. I also saw one language variable defined twice with 2 different descriptions.

Sorry I cannot dig deeper into this. Maybe Garvin can help. I will be digging into this much deeper at some future point as I can see how the plugin could be useful for a purpose I have in mind.
=Don=
ed587
Regular

Post by ed587 »

Okay Don, thanks. In the meantime I have sent some more tests through the plugin and if I use a cleared cache it does validate the suggestion and gives a message that the editors will review the suggestion. Great up to this point. The next step isn't happening though, namely me getting an email with the suggestion from the plugin. I am assuming this is how it will work. I've poked around in the Serendipity Admin Suite but didn't find any suggestions to the blog. Thanks for all your replies and endeavors. It is not a criical item for me although I will use it when I get it working.

The best,
~Ed587
The best,

~Ed
ed587
Regular

Post by ed587 »

Hey! It's working! The suggestions come in as draft entries so when you go to Edit Entries in the Serendipity Admin Suite they are listed there where you can preview, edit, and post as desired.

Okay, now I need to see if I can modify the form to maybe encourage would be suggestion writers. Then I want to setup the authors plugin. Thanks again for all the help.

~Ed587
The best,

~Ed
ju
Regular

Post by ju »

I dug this thread out because it seems to be the only one about serendipity_event_suggest and I wanted to let you know that there are people out there who would like to use it :)

I installed it at my test-site and first had the same problem as "daw" to figure out the correct path. But I solved that problem and a can write suggestions and also validate them but I don't dare to use the plugin in my regular blog as its only spam-protection is that the user has to validate the link. And I have no idea how to add some more security.

The second, minor, problem I have is that these guest articles are attributed to the regular author who changes it from "draft" to "publish". It would be nice to have something like "Guest editor" or just the name of the person who submitted the article.

So: if somebody, sometimes decides to work on this plugin I am willing to do the testing :)

//edit, update: looks like my request for more protection was just me not finding it ;) or a mixture of several things. I noticed that the captchas were not shown in the admin-interface of the spamblock-plugin (at the very bottom of the admin-if) - there was the word "CAPTCHA" where the graphics should have been. when I tried to open the graphics in another window, I got the following error:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to a member function assign() on a non-object in /var/www/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_cal/serendipity_event_cal.php on line 435
So I uninstalled event calender plugin and the captchas worked (and the rest of the spamprotection, too, as my logfile shows) - solved one problem, found a new one ;)