Powered by and Bulletproof logo

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
user1234
Regular

Powered by and Bulletproof logo

Post by user1234 »

Hi,

a general question about the usual logo/backlink stuff.

I prefer footers and sidebars to be clean of ulterior design which possibly, or rather very probably, will not be fitting the overall design. I also have had quite bad past experiences with the overt kind of references and backlinks to OSS, insofar that there are quite a few out there who google specifically for these links/referrals as soon as some exploit for that software becomes known.

I do not however wish to sell anyone OSS as my own creation, the backend always stays the backend and I usually refer to (most often optically by gif) to the software and contributing theme creators etc. on the about page or contact page of a website. That's also always pre-agreed upon with my clients.

What are the general thoughts on this regarding s9y? Is that okay by the dev team?

Cheers,

Dachs
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Powered by and Bulletproof logo

Post by Don Chambers »

Attribution links let the public know what is powering your site, and I think that is key, especially when you are talking open source. Many people have put hundreds, even thousands of hours into Serendipity... its nice to be able to "spread the word", perhaps gathering more users, designers, and programmers to the project.

That being said, I believe your intent is more about moving attribution off the front page, and onto a different page. I have no problem with that, and I know it is likewise fine with Yellowled.

I appreciate that you asked in advance, rather than just doing it. :wink:
=Don=
user1234
Regular

Post by user1234 »

Hi Don,

I always ask, and yes, I want to get it off the frontpage, out of the footer and into the contact or about page where everything contributing to the installation will be duly mentioned. It's both a design and a security decision, not one which should deprive the dev team of its proper rights.

Cheers,

Dachs
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Just to add my $0.02:

Serendipity is BSD licensed, which gives you a lot more flexibility than other known GPL-Applications. It allows you to power a serendipity site without you requiring to put out notices about Serendipity being at work.

The only thing you may not do, at the "core" level is to show off Serendipity as your own, rename the product, or remove acommpanying Documentation files that credit Serendipity.

Templates bundled with Serendipity are BSD-licensed as well, so you're basically allowed to do the same there. External plugins are usually GPL code, and they often don't allow you to remove attribution.

So that's all not in conflict with your intention, as you don't want to credit s9y to yourself. Also you want to show attribution on a special page, which is a kind nod towards the people who spent their work on the product.

Not removing the banners does help Serendipity in general to be a more "aware" product, and ultimately should help you, because it might get better developed that way.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/