Photoblog Entires Sidebar Plugin Problem

Creating and modifying plugins.
Chindogu
Regular

Post by Chindogu »

I don't know if anyone else is haviong this problem, but I can't seem to limit the number of photoblog entries in mysidebar. I have it set to 5 but it just keeps adding the new entries without taking the older ones away. So now I have a huge long list of images.

My site is http://www.chindogu.ca.

Also a site I set up for someone else has a different problem with the photoblog entries. She has it set to 3 but only 1 is showing in the sidebar.

Her site is http://www.gusgreeper.com.

Thanks, I have been enjoying Serendipity a lot.
Chindogu
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Photoblog Entires Sidebar Plugin Problem

Post by garvinhicking »

Which version of that plugin are you using?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Chindogu
Regular

Post by Chindogu »

Hi,

I am using Photoblog Entries sidebar plugin version: 1.1. I also just updated my Serendipity installation from 8.1 to 9-alpha2. After I did that I can now change the amount of photoblog entries in the sidebar but it still doesn't correspond to the number I enter in the plugin. For example right now I have the plugin set to only show 2 entries but 4 are actually being displayed. And when I set it to 3 entries 7 are displayed.

Thanks for the reply.
Chindogu
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Photoblog Entires Sidebar Plugin Problem

Post by garvinhicking »

I see some number multiplying in the plugin, so I've just mailed the author of the plugin and asked him if he could report back here. I'm sure he can shed some light on it. :)

Regards
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Chindogu
Regular

Post by Chindogu »

Cool, thanks!

Chindogu
Riken
Regular

Ah the confusion...

Post by Riken »

I thought this might happen, although I was expecting it sooner.

The number in the thumbnail config isn't the total number of thumbnails, it's the number of thumbnails to show before and after the current entry.

So, for example if the value is set to 3, you would see 3 entries before the current entry, the current entries thumbnail, and then 3 entries after the current one, for a total of 7 entries.

If you're not viewing a single entry, then the plugin shows you the most recent number of entries using the same number worked out above. In this case it would be 7.

Of course if you don't have 7 entries in your blog then it just displays what's available.

To display a max of 5 entries, set the value in the config to 2.

Hope that helped.

Riken
Chindogu
Regular

Ah the confusion... persists

Post by Chindogu »

Thanks for your explaination Riken, I think I understand a bit better but there are still a few things confusing me about this.

I more or less get your example, how it works, but what exactly do you mean by "the current entry"? Does that refer to the last Photoblog entry I've made? If so, then how can there be entries showing after it, since I haven't entered any more Photoblogs yet, seeing as it's the last one?

OK, one more thing, I have set the value in the config to 2 but I am not seeing 5 entries, persumably the 2 before and 2 after the current entry as you explained it. I am only seeing 4 even though I have about 20 Photoblog entries made in total. This gets me thinking, is this because I only have 7 entires currently on the first of the three pages of my blog?

If that is so, then this would explain something else for me. I set up a blog for a friend and occationally the number of Photoblog entries showing in her sidebar would change, even though the value set in the config hadn't been altered.

Thanks for reading my little novel here. Cheers,

Chindogu
Riken
Regular

Re: Ah the confusion... persists

Post by Riken »

Chindogu wrote:I more or less get your example, how it works, but what exactly do you mean by "the current entry"? Does that refer to the last Photoblog entry I've made? If so, then how can there be entries showing after it, since I haven't entered any more Photoblogs yet, seeing as it's the last one?
The "current entry" refers to the entry that is currently being shown. If you're viewing entry 12 say, then that is the current entry. If you're on the main page then the "current" entry is the latest one.
Chindogu wrote:OK, one more thing, I have set the value in the config to 2 but I am not seeing 5 entries, persumably the 2 before and 2 after the current entry as you explained it. I am only seeing 4 even though I have about 20 Photoblog entries made in total. This gets me thinking, is this because I only have 7 entires currently on the first of the three pages of my blog?

If that is so, then this would explain something else for me. I set up a blog for a friend and occationally the number of Photoblog entries showing in her sidebar would change, even though the value set in the config hadn't been altered.
The plugin selects the entries to show regardless of whether they have a picture or not. If an entry doesn't have a picture and the "Show only pictures" option is on, then the entry isn't shown, and is not replaced to make up the numbers. To see entries without photos turn off the "Show only pictures" option.

Basically I didn't design the plugin for the casual photoblogger so it assumes that every entry has a photo. Sorry.
Chindogu
Regular

Post by Chindogu »

Thanks a lot Riken, I totally get it now. I really like this plugin and was just curious as to why it wasn't working the way I assumed it should.

Thanks for clearing things up for me,

Chindogu