Event plugin with sidebar companion

Creating and modifying plugins.
kidgoo
Regular

Event plugin with sidebar companion

Post by kidgoo »

Hey all...

I was wondering if there's an established "right" way to have an event plugin with a sidebar companion that can, in a perfect world, access the event's functions...

Thanks,
Brett
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

The way I did it in serendipity_event_linklist is to define event hooks in the event plugin and have the sidebar plugin call them.

Plugins like serendipity_event_mycalendar simply do a database query against the same table that the event plugin uses.

I'm not sure if there is a prefered method though. Perhaps Garvin or someone else knows the best way to do it (though Garvin wrote mycalendar, so I would bet that is a good way).

I'd say if you can use event hooks to enable code reusage that would be nice. Otherwise it might be overkill.
kidgoo
Regular

Post by kidgoo »

I did have a look at mycalendar, and it looks like the two are just sharing tables, but it's simple enough for that to be effective...

I also thought about using event hooks called from the sidebar, but it felt kinda hacky for what I was doing. I think I've decided to export the functions to an include file, and include it in both the event and plugin files. Would this be the overkill you spoke of?
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I don't think that would be overkill. If the two plugins will share a lot of code I think that makes good sense.
You should probably ask Garvin, though, or drop a note to the developers email list if you want more input.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

When sharing functions accross plugins, I also tend to use a "common.inc.php" file like within the plugin_loginform plugin. Those then share common classes/functions.

Apart from that, it's recommended to have plugin-related table slike the calendar plugin where you can share data.

In the past few months I've come to the conclusion that polluting the plugin propbag ($this->get_config(...)) container is not the wisest way to store many properties, as they get loaded on each request and are put in the $serendipity superarray. So the less you need to access via those means, the faster. That's the way why we no longer store the staticpages in a ->set_config container, as it would really eat up some memory on large pages.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/