Serendipity and PHP 5.3.0

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Squeezer

Serendipity and PHP 5.3.0

Post by Squeezer »

Has anyone been able to get Serendipity to work with PHP 5.3.0? i'm getting all kinds of errors with it. It works fine on PHP 5.2.9 however.
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Serendipity and PHP 5.3.0

Post by Don Chambers »

I'm not running that high a version of php anywhere... can you elaborate on the actual errors?
=Don=
Squeezer

Post by Squeezer »

I'm running serendipity 1.4.1. WIth PHP 5.3.0 I get the errors on the main page that loads /home/shimmer/public_html/index.php:

Warning: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/plugins/modifier.date_format.php on line 53
2008-07-06

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 96

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 97

Warning: strtotime() [function.strtotime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 115

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 117

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 118

Warning: mktime() [function.mktime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 120

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 252

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 255

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 256

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 257

Warning: mktime() [function.mktime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 346

Warning: mktime() [function.mktime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 346

Warning: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/functions.inc.php on line 158

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 459

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 489

Warning: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/functions.inc.php on line 158

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_internal.inc.php on line 491

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/include/plugin_api.inc.php on line 560

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 469

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 494

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 538

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 902

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 400

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/shimmer/public_html/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 444
kleinerChemiker
Regular

Post by kleinerChemiker »

This are only warnings, not errors. Configure your server so that it only displays errors and not warnings too. Allthough this should/could be fixed for the next release.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I've committed some PHP 5.3 fixes into SVN right now, that should fix the timezone issue and hopefully also this &new stuff. Sadly I don't have PHP 5.3 right now to test it with (Debian only provides 5.2.9 right now and I cannot upgrade my dev machine with another version).

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
hyejohn
Regular

Post by hyejohn »

If you have a windows box, you can run uniform server on it with the latest version of apache2, PHP5 and mysql5 (comes with a phpmyadmin built in too!):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miniserver/files/

I use this to pre-build sites on my desktop under localhost before publishing to my host. Makes life a little easier just opening stuff and editing it, rather than continually uploading stuff. The only problem with this is that the final site host may have different settings than what you have set locally...
~John
That Photographer guy in Michigan
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi John!

Yes, I actually do develop with a dedicated linux machine (not my "real" web host). But I am currently also developing other things that do not allow me to switch my environment to PHP 5.3 currently.

It is a good suggestion to install a WAMP setup on my machine, but time constraints currently do not allow me the extra time of setting this up before my vacation.

If someone tries PHP 5.3 with s9y the next few days, please use the SVN snapshot of tomorrow, and after my vacation I'll see to test it out myself :)

Best regards,
Garvin
blackmagic

Post by blackmagic »

Hey guys i just bought a shared hosting from 1and1.com, so can i run everything smoothly there with PHP 5.0+ ??
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

blackmagic wrote:Hey guys i just bought a shared hosting from 1and1.com, so can i run everything smoothly there with PHP 5.0+ ??
Yeah, should be no problem.
kaktux
Regular

Post by kaktux »

is there any kind of schedule for that release that includes the changes for php 5.3???

I am testing s9y on a free hoster with this php version and it won't work (first time access after installation creates: Warning: Parameter 1 to serendipity_replaceSmartyVars() expected to be a reference, value given in xyz/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 258, secont (and following times leave just a blank screen).

Or is it "quite" safe to use one of the nightly builds?? The only thing important to me would be, that it can be updated to the stable version. But as it's just a test it's not really dramatic if i have to wait.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
kaktux wrote:is there any kind of schedule for that release that includes the changes for php 5.3???
Yes, I am planning to release a serendipity 1.5 release candidate at the end of this month, and the final 1.5 release happening around mid-september, depending on the feedback.

Which s9y version are you testing on a free hoster? The snapshots work fine on my own production blog, and I see no open bugs or real issues with those versions right now. So using that version should be no problem, especially if you install a fresh version. If you perform an upgrade, be sure to make a backup of files+database first.

Best regards,
Garvin
dcouchotvore

Post by dcouchotvore »

All those time and date warnings can be fixed by setting the date.timezone variable in your php.ini file.

However, the other stuff indicates a version compatibility problem. I'm also getting a blank screen with PHP 5.3.0. I just installed Serendipity over an earlier v5 PHP (not sure exactly which; the machine died so I can't go back and check quite yet) and it worked beautifully. The last several errors from my Apache 2.2 log:

[Tue Aug 18 15:39:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\include\\plugin_api.inc.php on line 560,
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 469
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 494
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 538
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 902
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\include\\plugin_api.inc.php on line 560
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 469
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 494
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 538
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 902
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: Parameter 1 to serendipity_replaceSmartyVars() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\bundled-libs\\Smarty\\libs\\Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 258
[Tue Aug 18 15:39:12 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: Parameter 1 to serendipity_replaceSmartyVars() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\bundled-libs\\Smarty\\libs\\Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 258
[Tue Aug 18 15:42:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\include\\plugin_api.inc.php on line 560
[Tue Aug 18 15:42:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 469
[Tue Aug 18 15:42:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 494
[Tue Aug 18 15:42:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 538
[Tue Aug 18 15:42:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\plugins\\serendipity_event_spamblock\\serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 902
[Tue Aug 18 15:42:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: Parameter 1 to serendipity_replaceSmartyVars() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\\Servers\\Web\\Tristan\\weblog\\bundled-libs\\Smarty\\libs\\Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 258

Had to edit out the referers as your board complained about too many URLs.

Hope this all helps. Makes me worry about some of my own existing PHP code.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi dcouchotvore!

Which s9y version did you try? Latest 1.5-alpha2 snapshot?

Regards,
Garvin
dcouchotvore

Post by dcouchotvore »

Thanks. That made all the difference. Downloaded the latest 1.4 full install. That particular deprecation got Wordpress, too. I like PHP, but they can be bad about breaking existing code bases.

Regards,
dduccini

Post by dduccini »

Tried the nightly snapshot

s9y_200908192342

and getting this error on Solaris 10, PHP 5.3.0:

Warning: Parameter 1 to serendipity_replaceSmartyVars() expected to be a reference, value given in /export/www/serendipity-nightly/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 249