Looking for hosting and assistance for s9y

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
randulo
Regular

Looking for hosting and assistance for s9y

Post by randulo »

Hi,

I have been running a wine blog on s9y for a few years for a friend. I now need to move his blog somewhere else and he will need occasional support. He's French but speaks English.

If you think you can help for a reasonable fee, please message me and we can discuss it. I have not kept up with versions but if we move, of course the first thing is to fix that and move to the most recent.

The blog in question has a large number of posts with a lot of images and about 300 visitors (not hits, people according to Google Analytics) per day.

I love Serendipity and have contributed more than once in donations, but I haven't had time to keep up with it. If you can help, let me know.

/r
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Looking for hosting and assistance for s9y

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Are you basically speaking about permanent support?

Helping in performing a move+upgrade shouldn't be too hard, given that he has solid phpMyAdmin support for migrating the DB; and good FTP access to copy all files, as well as proper ressource privileges to perform a SQL dump upload. But I can't really offer help for "permanent" support, I can only help on a case-by-case basis.

Regular support I can offer through the company I work for, but there we'd charge our usual costs for an hour of commercial support...

Maybe someone else wants to offer full support, I'm happy to hear that :)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
randulo
Regular

Post by randulo »

Garvin,

Nice to hear from you!

Long story short, this is a paid hosted s9y instance I'm looking for with occasional email support in French or English included (French would be best, if anyone out there is French). The support happens when he tries to upload files unsuccessfully, or stuff like that. I just don't have the time to mess with it. There would also be an opportunity to improve the blog by tweaking code or at least selecting good plugnins and making style choices. Again, there is money to be made at a reasonable rate.

Rather than publish the URL publicly, I'll be happy to send it to anyone interested via email or private message.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

randulo wrote:Again, there is money to be made at a reasonable rate.
It might help finding someone to call a ballpark for "reasonable rate" :)

YL
randulo
Regular

Post by randulo »

yellowled wrote:
randulo wrote:Again, there is money to be made at a reasonable rate.
It might help finding someone to call a ballpark for "reasonable rate" :)
YL
That is up to the provider to propose. Let's face it, hosting alone is worth little. For anyone who works with Serendipity, if you are a professional or at least willing to deal with this in a professional capacity, let's hear about what you can offer and how much it will cost per month, or let's start a dialog in private. I can show you the site and we can talk.

Please contact me privately if this is of interest (or suggest some links I can see if you know of someone).
kleinerChemiker
Regular

Post by kleinerChemiker »

I think many people here have some experiance with s9y but do not host theire blogs but have them hosted. And maybe if you can tell us how much webspace and traffic is needed, we could at least recomend good hosters and somebody could help administrating s9y.
randulo
Regular

Post by randulo »

It's a good point, I could be asking where do you host? I know that I tried to install on MediaTemple Grid and it didn't look like it would work.

The blog has 2,000+ entries and has about 300 human visitors per day according to Google Analytics.
At that level, a very cheap host usually will not be adequate.

What are some decent hosts for s9y? My experience is on dedicated machines and on Verio shared hosts. I want this to be moved to a new host where I can just let someone else worry about it.

Thanks,

r
kleinerChemiker
Regular

Post by kleinerChemiker »

More important information than posts and visitors would be how much webspace and how much db space is used and how much traffic do you generate per month. 300 visitors is not so much, that a normal shard hosting cannot handle it. This is one visitor every 5 minutes. Of course, I would be glad if I had that much, but even if the visitor visits 5 pages, this would mean that the webserver have to deliver one page per minute.