HTML Meta Tags plugin - extend to static pages?

Creating and modifying plugins.
Don Chambers
Regular

HTML Meta Tags plugin - extend to static pages?

Post by Don Chambers »

With the help of Garvin and Judebert, I fumbled my way through some minor changes to this plugin about a year and a half ago. I was able to add a few things to it because it already had existing fields.

The plugin provides additional fields when creating/editing an entry. The additional info allows an entry to specify a page-specific <title> element, as well as <meta description> and <meta keywords>. The plugin can also attempt to automatically generate <meta keywords> by searching for specified tags (ie, bold, strong, etc) within entry body. It also provides a site-wide default for the <meta> elements if not specified for a particular page (index.tpl already provides the default for <title>. This info is emitted via index.tpl via {serendipity_hookPlugin hook="frontend_header"}.

All of this is very entry-specific. Is it possible to extend this entire functionality to static pages? I think doing so is very important, and provides even greater functionality to s9y as a cms when using static pages.... problem is, doing so is WAY over my head.

HELP!!
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: HTML Meta Tags plugin - extend to static pages?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I believe what could be done is to add custom staticpage fields into a template for easy HTML metatag integration.

Using the Meta tags plugins for staticpages would mean a fundamental change into how both plugins work, because meta-tags are stored depending on entryproperties, which cannot be applied to static pages.

I think it can be done, but I personally currently have no free time available for this kind of thing. I always support when s9y is being bent into CMS-directions, but very advanced stuff is IMHO still something that should be done either by PHP developers who can bend the Smarty/PHP-Plugins, or maybe with a different system.

If someone wants a paid implementation of this for a commercial project though, I'd be happy to help. I hope you can understand this, as my free time is really limited and currently virtually all used up by forum support here.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Garvin - this was more of an experiment of my own. Lets not all suddenly assume that everything I do is commercial!! :lol:

I am currently doing it with custom properties/fields for static pages... it just occurred to me that it might be more consistent from a user perspective if the method of defining <meta> info or staticpage-specific <title> elements was consistent.
=Don=
WMK
Regular

Post by WMK »

Hi,

any progress in this issue?

I'd love to have meta tags for static pages, too. Maybe i can help some day in developing - if i'm not the only developer on this as i'm just starting digging into s9y.

cheers,

Werner
Viele Grüße,

Werner
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I did it with custom static page properties/fields for one particular custom template I created. It works well enough that I never really felt compelled to look at it any differently. Let me know if you want to approach it the same way and perhaps I can share a tip or two (or even the entire thing).
=Don=
mbb
Regular

Post by mbb »

i definately need a "serendipity_event_metadesc"-plugin for static pages.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I wrote a quick blog entry on how to use custom static page properties to emit meta info here.
=Don=
mbb
Regular

Post by mbb »

i would prefer a meta-tag-plugin for static pages ...