How to display Chinese/Japanese/Korean in a blog ?

Having trouble installing serendipity?
mkengel
Regular

How to display Chinese/Japanese/Korean in a blog ?

Post by mkengel »

Is there a detailed explanation what to do to have serendipity being able to display Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters ?
I got it installed from my provider but it seems that it is not automatically able to display UTF-8 characters ? Version 1.1.2 seems to be installed.

Sorry, but I am not very much experienced with web applications.

Thank you
Michael
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: How to display Chinese/Japanese/Korean in a blog ?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

s9y is fully UTF-8 compatible if you chose to use "UTF-8" in the blog installation (or configuration later on). You might need to enable the "Use database charset conversion" option inside your configuration as well.

s9y 1.1.2 is MUCH outdated. You should upgrade, also due to security reasons.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
mkengel
Regular

Post by mkengel »

garvinhicking wrote:s9y is fully UTF-8 compatible if you chose to use "UTF-8" in the blog installation (or configuration later on). You might need to enable the "Use database charset conversion" option inside your configuration as well.
Great news !
garvinhicking wrote:s9y 1.1.2 is MUCH outdated. You should upgrade, also due to security reasons.
After seeing that you are already at 1.4.1, I contacted my provider and asked about update. The answer is "do-it-yourself".

Should I better uninstall 1.1.2 and re-install the newest version or is there an update possibility.
Can I export the blog data and later re-import them after having the new version ?

Thank you
Michael
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Of course, if you haven't written any entries yet, you don't need to upgrade. Just remove the old version and install the new one. Make a note of the old version's settings; you may find them helpful when you install the upgrade.

If you have written entries already, or heavily modified the configuration, you'll probably want to upgrade instead.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal